1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone read One Day (David Nicholls)?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by cakeshop, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Think I must be almost the only person on this planet who thought it shallow, predictable and uttely boring! Only kept going with it thinking it must get better...perhaps I've missed the point.

2. I agree entirely. Novels like this are massively hyped and absolutely adored by certain reviewers.
    No idea of your gender, but I think this book is one of those that really does appeal to women more than men. If you like teary sweet sentimental little romances you'll love it. VERY predictable IMHO.

3. Oh good, not just me then. It is set exactly same time I was at Uni and having enjoyed Starter, AND had friends tell it was 'brilliant' had high hopes. Dashed. Lame, predictable and just not very interesting. Cannot understand the 'moved me to tears stuff' at all but one's mood at time of reading can have significant impact I guess.

4. I recently finished it for our next Book Club meeting and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I could imagine it being made into a film.

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Bump again. I recently read this and it bored me silly. The ending was not predictable but the rest of the book was.
    I read it because I heard so much about it but it wasn't for me.

6. Glad others didn't like this book too. Was starting to think i needed to read it again incase I had missed the point!

7. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

You're not! The ending annoyed me too [​IMG]

8. Wuzzy

Wuzzy New commenter

Very disappointed with this book. I did read it all, but didn' t warm to the characters - got to the end and really wish I hadn't bothered. I certainly won't go and see the film. Heart warming it is not!