1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone read One Day (David Nicholls)?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by cakeshop, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Great. My mum called this morning. She always tells me about books she is reading. She had just finsihed "One Day" and asked me if I wanted it. Could've got it for free!

2. Or you could have asked Deidre Barlow, I noticed her reading it in Coronation St last week. She was crying...

3. Nooooooo! Corrie does product placement! Great. Not only am i reading a book that my 70 year old mum ha read, but also half the nation.

4. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Tight ****! [​IMG]
    Only joking, bunty. Hope you're enjoying it and really hope you've got plenty of tissues at the ready.

5. I remember she was in the bookies and that bloke of Audrey's was trying to distract her so he could carry out his nasty plot to cheat the bookies.

6. In any case, the book is excellent and definitely worth reading. Chin up! :)

7. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Eh? ***, must have missed that one.
    Wondered why he was sliming up to Deirdere.
    The cad!

8. Two-bloody-thirty this morning before I put it down! So far, he sounds like an ar.se.

9. [​IMG]

10. looks like the rest of the evening will be spent doing the work I should hve got done tody. Just finished it. It qs very good indeed. bit of smorgsbord of recent literry nd screen offerings, but pretty originl concept, nonetheless, with believeble chrcters. Never mind this post: now I hve to write n OU essy with no " "

11. Bunty - your 'a' has morphed....

12. My power cable broke yesterday and I had to use the old one. New cable was delivered this morning - well, 2 newones, actually. I ordered the wrong one and asked for it to be changed, but ended up with two. Sending other one back.

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Finished this book in bed this morning. (I love the hols - can wake up and read in bed - yay!)
    I wasn't too keen at the start, but you do get to care about Em and Dex and wonder how it will all turn out for them. I found the last few chapters especially moving, when the narrative returns to Edinburgh..... sniff.....

14. "Dexter", though, what a w@nky choice of name!

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I took a copy from the library on holiday and devoured it in a day. Was unsure if I'd like it, certainly nothing like anything I'd normally read and was by far the lightest reading of all the books I took, but probably the one I enjoyed reading the most, even if I am at pains to admit this. Makes for very good beach material indeed.
    Loved it, desite my initial misgivings. Very astute indeed and wonderfully drawn characters, particularly Emma (very well done to David Nicholls for delineating a female character so accurately, at least to my blokeish eyes).
    The various observations and set-pieces relating to the various stages in their lives are hysterically, and often painfully accurate, particularly for anyone who's ever been a student or who grew in the eighties and nineties; I readily identifed with many aspects of both of their lives (without... going into too much detail [​IMG]).
    Entirely agree. I was quite unprepared for the what happens towards the end of the story and had to reread the passage twice before having to put the book down and reflect in silence on the events for a short while. Also agree that when the story returns to Edinburgh, it is told beautifully. I had, erm, sand in my eyes during the last chapter as well. It's been a very while since a book made me cry.
    My wife also inhaled the book in a couple of sittings, and we both shared numerous conversations about it since. I've now returned the book to the library and bought two copies from an Oxfam book shop; one to keep and one to pass on as a gift to the first person it occurs to us give it to. We'll be replacing that one for further gifts as well, I suspect!
    Highly recommended.

16. Yes, it was worth going back to Edinburgh and seeing why they couldn't and why they could.

17. Currently being filmed with Anne Hathaway as Em... due to be released next year. Splendid!

18. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Fantastico!!! Thanks, Fire Girl. [​IMG]
    p.s. What do you think of the casting? Not sure about Anne Hathaway...
    p.p.s. my friend is currently jobless & skint after being made redundant for the second time in 9 months. Her son is also going into hospital next week for open heart surgery, so I've ordered 'One Day' as a gift for her on Amazon. Hope she likes it!

19. Jim Sturgess looks like a fine casting for the role of Dexter. Anne Hathaway also looks good as Em - I think that it'll be excellent!
    I'm sure that your friend will love the book, hopefully it'll provide a bit of respite.

20. Have to agree with this review 100%. Started off thinking it would be a light bit of entertainment that would have me reminiscing about my youth but found myself completely captivated by the characters and caring about what happened to them. Like an earlier poster, ended up with a very soggy hankie and a feeling of 'you can't do this to me'. So well done David Nicholls.