1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone read One Day (David Nicholls)?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by cakeshop, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ..............and if so, is it any good?

2. ..............and if so, is it any good?

3. anon468

anon468 New commenter

I think I remember Fire Girl talking about this book on another thread and it does sound really good.
    So much so that I've got it on my Amazon list.

4. I have and I loved it - In fact I read the entire book in one sitting!

5. anon468

anon468 New commenter

£3.77 on Amazon now - bargain!

6. A must read! I loved it- I recognised so much of the background . I didn't want to finish so slowed right down in the last quarter!

7. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Fab / u / ous !

8. Thanks very much for the feedback!

9. Loved this book. Loved the character development, and the idea of tracking them through the same day each year.
    A really good read.

10. Sport22

Sport22 New commenter

Really good read, brought back loads of my memories of relationships and university! x

11. Brilliant book, Catches you in the throat near the end - be warned, tears will trickle down your cheeks!

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Just finished reading this and like one of the other posters I did it in one go. I just could NOT put it down.
    It's poignant, funny and evocative. I loved it so much.
    And I have a very soggy hankie now.

13. Didn't know anything about this when I bought it but was surprised - very easy to read and enjoyable.
    I didn't much like the beginning but it got better. Enjoy

14. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I quite liked it, but I've read better books.

15. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

I got this the other week on the recommendation from one of my students who works in Waterstones. It's on my shelf, so may make that my next read and will get the tissues ready!

16. vannie

vannie Lead commenter

Read it on holiday and loved it. But then I grew up in the 80's!

17. As was mentioned earlier in the thread - I really loved this book, I've bought at least 5 copies as gifts. To echo another poster - FAB/U/LOUS! Someone was reading it on the tube yesterday and I was smiling to myself on the journey - he was only about a chapter in and I'll bet he did nothing else for the rest of the day....
    Hope that it is made into a film. Nicholls also penned 'Starter for Ten' another unique read.
    Must also mention: Mr Rosenblum's List by Natasha Solomons. Loved this one too.

18. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

Well I grew up in the 80s too so it should be right up my street!

19. Have just finished reading this book. Found it really disappointing. Same time line as myself, but thought it could have been so much better. Kept losing interest in the characters, and found it a bit uneventful. Wonder if I listened to the hype too much?

20. Started it last night. I now have that pleasant feeling of anticipation you have when you know that bedtimes fro the next week or so will have an added dimension.
    I do recognise myself in Emma (so far, anyway)