1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone read anything good lately?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Toomuchtooyoung, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

I didn't get my usual fix of books this Christmas, my own fault for not providing a list, so Im coming to my end of my current read with nothing planned .
    Anyone got any recommendations ?

Tend to go for historic fiction, not too fussed on what era, just finishing an Elizabeth Chadwick, but will read a good modern book, managed I am Pilgrim in a weekend last summer.

Get jittery when I dont have a book to pick up, could at a push use my husbands reader thing, but rather have paper.

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes, Mother Tongue by Bill Bryson.

3. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Oo I can get that free on husbands reader thing will give it a go Thanks

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

£4.99 according to the Kindle store. Won't be buying that then!

Shame, I like Bill Bryson.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Anything by Rose Tremain but if you like historic start with Restoration.

Lascarina and cosmosinfrance like this.
  6. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

the Dune stuff, again

monicabilongame likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

'Crooked Hearts' by Lissa Evans - set in WW2. A Waterstones Book Club read . I managed to get it from the library but buying books is nearly always money well spent in my opinion. This novel was a delight.

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Finally got around to it...
    [​IMG]

9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I work above a charity second hand book shop. That's very handy!

10. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Lucky! Charity shops are my primary source, now that libraries don't have books any more.

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

What do libraries have then?

I volunteer in a library and spend an awful lot of time tidying bookshelves and putting back returned books on to the shelves. At least, I thought they were books- they look like books, feel like books and smell like books.

InkyP likes this.
  12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Maybe it depends on the library ? I am within walking distance of two. I often make lists of books which appeal. Search the library catalogue online and then check them out. I love the bookshop experience and am happy to purchase but the library really helps keep my spending down to ' acceptable '

13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir. Very readable and compelling story about Lady Jane Grey. I picked it up in a charity shop for 50p and it was v good value.

14. watermelongirl65

watermelongirl65 New commenter

The Crimson Petal and the White, Michael Faber was a page turner for me. Ignore the TV version though. Currently reading Vera Brittain's Testament of Youth, non fiction but reads like fiction.
    I'd echo the above recommendation for Rose Tremain's Restoration too.

InkyP likes this.
  15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'll look for that in the library. I like Hilary Mantel (Wolf Hall etc.) and Philippa Gregory (a series about the Plantaganets and Tudors). Although they are fiction based on facts I read with Google at hand to tell one from the other.

Lascarina likes this.
  16. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Ours has a big area of children's books and toys, a bank of computers, some newspapers and a drinks machine with comfy seats, a rack of music and DVDs, a display showing how you can borrow music digitally on mp3 players and then, in a corner, four stands of books, mainly romances, crime and westerns. The non-fiction section has some travel books and language dictionaries.
    It is always busy but I don't think many go for the books. It feels more like a community drop in centre.

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

After watching it on BBC2 I bought The Last Kingdom and The Pale Horseman books that the series was based on. Books by Bernard Cornwell (Sharpe). The books are sufficiently different from the TV prog so that they are not predictable. I notice that there is a third one on the shelves now but I shall wait for the paperback.

18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I read a lot of historical stuff, but "man" books. The Wars of the Roses/Conn Iggulden series (but I didn't like his Caesar books). You might like Lionheart by lady author I can't remember, but it was short on battles for me. The Gaius Valerius Verrens roman ones are good by Douglas Jackson, War at the Edge of the World by Ian Ross, just started the sequel Swords Around the Throne (later roman). Brittania Parts 1 and 2 by Richard Denham (Roman Britain stuff). And anything by Bernard Cornwell whose entire output I think I have read.

19. rachel_g41

rachel_g41 Established commenter

We are all completly beside ourselves, by Karen Joy Fowler.

I didn't get what it was about until a few chapters in but that made it all the more enjoyable, so don't look for spoilers or synopsis, just read it.

20. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I have recently downloaded the first R. Austin Freeman Mega pack (27 mystery stories). I love classic mystery fiction, and this is really well-written and free! I stumbled on one Dr Thorndyke mystery as a 'libre vox' recording on You Tube, and was hooked:

“He thinks he knows it all,” said Anstey.
    “Most fools do,” retorted Thorndyke. “They arrive at their knowledge by intuition—a deuced easy road and cheap travelling too.”

Freeman, R. Austin (2014-02-15). The First R. Austin Freeman MEGAPACK ®: 27 Mystery Tales of Dr. Thorndyke & Others (Kindle Locations 1168-1170). Wildside Press LLC. Kindle Edition.

There are another two megapacks to go. What with that, and the free Sapphire and Steel programmes to watch, I don't think I need step outside the door till June.