1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone organised a school newspaper, written by pupils for pupils?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mamatotombili, Aug 5, 2007.

1. I am thinking of starting a school newspaper club for year 5 and 6 pupils.
    Has anyone else done this? Any tips on how to get started or a framework idea to follow.
    I thought I would start by looking at what is in a newspaper and deciding on which things would be good/relevant to have in our paper.
    Then assigning jobs ie - sports editor, music editor, events editor, cartoons and puzzles editor, photographer, healthy food editor, entertainment etc....
    How often should we get an edition out? once every half term?
    I thought we could maybe get sponsorship/support from the local newspaper.
    Would gladly welcome some input/support on this.
    Thanks

2. I am thinking of starting a school newspaper club for year 5 and 6 pupils.
    Has anyone else done this? Any tips on how to get started or a framework idea to follow.
    I thought I would start by looking at what is in a newspaper and deciding on which things would be good/relevant to have in our paper.
    Then assigning jobs ie - sports editor, music editor, events editor, cartoons and puzzles editor, photographer, healthy food editor, entertainment etc....
    How often should we get an edition out? once every half term?
    I thought we could maybe get sponsorship/support from the local newspaper.
    Would gladly welcome some input/support on this.
    Thanks

3. karentee

karentee New commenter

I tried this one time as an after school club. It took me ages to do, we only had an hour a week and by the time they decided what to put in there, research and write it up, get it printed it was all old news. You need a lot of time and dedication for it. Good luck.

4. Thanks karentee.
    I have just done a search (should have done it before I typed the post) and found that lolo1 and tafkam are experienced at this.
    Would welcome an example of yr mags and any tips to avoid extra hassle.
    I like lolo1's idea of getting children to write an article as an audition piece as I do not know the kids that well.

v.njoroge@sky.com

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Have sent you an email :0D

6. I have sent you an e-mail also cos I'm interested in the same thing. If you get anything helpful could you please forward it to me. Thanks

7. imanewteacher2007

imanewteacher2007 New commenter

I'm in charge of the newspaper at my school and the year 3 and 4 pupils run it. I have a chief editor, assistant editor, chief photographer and assistant photographer, chief reporter and assitant reporter. The assitant jobs are the year 3 pupils.
    Generally the children are able in literacy as this was a requirement when the jobs were 'advertised' in the school on our jobs board. The school council interviewed candidates who had filled out a job application form and they informed the successful candiates.

When i met with the group it was during a lunchtime and we brainstormed all the ideas that is included in a newspaper and what they found interesting in a newspaper etc.
    We publish our newspaper on Microsoft Publisher and choose the folded card option i.e. only 4 pages so the children have to be brutal with what they want to include etc! It did take a while for the 1st edition to be published because i had to train the children to take photos and import them into a folder etc. However after 3 editions and we are currently on our 4th (x1 every half term) the children are practically able to lead this themselves. I have trained the children so they seek the editor for advice and qs first and then she relays them to me. Of course I keep logging into the school newspaper folder saved on the computer to ensure everything is above board! The children love it and after the 1st edition it will be easier!

Hope this helps!

8. Hello, I am thinking about doing the same thing starting the summer term (after SATs). Could I get that email?
    Thank you
    lovellin@hotmail.com

9. Hi, I would love an example too karenward74@hotmail.com Thanks

10. That sounds great. If someone could email it, I'd be very grateful

mattnick1981@yahoo.co.uk

11. phelisia

phelisia New commenter

Hello
    I am hoping to get a school newspaper organised and set up ready for September and would be grateful for any tried and tested ideas etc
    phigii@yahoo.co.uk
    Many thanks
    Phelisia

12. Hello, sorry to jump on the bandwagon but im taking on the role of G&T coordinator next year and im thinking of starting up a school newspaper with more able Y3 to Y6 chn - not just literact, art, science, maths etc and including a puzzle section, wordsearches, amazing facts to do with recent topics etc and would love tosee an exisiting axample of a working school paper.
    c_black@live.co.uk
    id be very willing to share ideas and send examples when we're up and running!

13. **example lol [​IMG]

14. One of the parts of my parents' business runs media projects in schools so I tend to get brought in to help with things a lot. We've done a number of newspaper projects setting them up (mainly in secondaries but we have done some work with transition pupils moving between y6 and 7) and the kids are more than capable of being trained up to do the bulk of it themselves over time - we trained year 8s to do it, who moved up the school and trained the years below them to do it and the project became self-sustaining.
    Publisher's probably the easiest way to go - set up a page template with column guides the right width for the children, teach them how to import photos and add text boxes the right size rather than relying on the in-built pages that are already made... it doesn't take more than a session to do that, but then the older kids can teach the younger (and you've removed a lot of having to do page layouts from yourself - you can just tweak/tidy/correct hideously wrong spellings).
    What I've always tended to do to start with is to bring a pile of newspapers in - get some sheets of paper and let the kids destroy them - sticking examples on sheets of paper for the key things - headlines/adverts/features/sport etc etc... makes a heck of a mess but the kids love it and it just gets them looking for more than the cartoons! One thing I've always found is that you often need to give each page a broad theme for the kids - or else they'll just want every page to be wordsearches and puzzles.

15. Oh and they tend to need lots and lots of work on asking open questions - because by and large they tend to be utterly dire at this to start off with then get back to class with a set of questions with yes/no answers and nothing to write a story off!

16. damsonite

damsonite New commenter

Hi

I am also starting a school newspaper with Y5 and Y6 in September. I would be grateful for any help / ideas for getting started. I'll be happy to share success/problems with others once we get up and running??

Thanks
    clare@vnet.eclipse.co.uk

17. Grandsire

Grandsire Occasional commenter

Thanks for the great advice from everyone on this forum - it's given me loads to think about. I'm planning to organise a newspaper published on the VLE by a group of Year 6's starting this September.

18. Ooh...this is such a good idea for G+T children (I'm taking on co-ordinating that role next year!). I'd really love to jump on the bandwagon too please if anyone can email me anything!
    Thank you
    suzyanne100@hotmail.com