1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone on or been on Clomid?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by antoniou, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Hi ladies. I'm currently on my second day of clomid after 2.5 yrs ttc and a mmc in June/July. I just wondered what people's experience of it is, any side effects, etc, and if it worked for them? I've been given 6 months worth, but obviously hoping I won't need all of it!

2. Hi ladies. I'm currently on my second day of clomid after 2.5 yrs ttc and a mmc in June/July. I just wondered what people's experience of it is, any side effects, etc, and if it worked for them? I've been given 6 months worth, but obviously hoping I won't need all of it!

3. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I have heard of quite a few people having success with clomid both on here and in real life.
    I took it when I was having IUI - TBH I don't think I really needed it as tests showed that I was ovulating. I was warned about side effects but never had any. Having said that I never had side effects from the IVF drugs which are far stronger than Clomid. If you do get them I think it's likely to be headaches and/or mood swings. To combat the headaches risk I cut out alcohol and made sure I drank plenty of water.
    Good luck, hope it works for you.

4. Hi,
    I took Clomid and had regular scans to check ovulation. I was disappointed when it didn't work initially but by the end of the 3rd month I found out I was pregnant. I did try and relax a lot more and thought what will be will be but I know everyone says that and it's easier said than done! No real side effects from what I remember, maybe few headaches but they might not have been linked. i really hope it works for you too. Good Luck x

5. Paradoxicalgirly

Paradoxicalgirly New commenter

I went on Clomid after my second miscarriage sent my body a bit loopy. Got pregnant the first month, but miscarried as they wouldn't give me progesterone pessaries. I started with it again following that miscarriage, but got really bad ovary pain, so stopped taking them. I got pregnant again without them and thankfully was given the progesterone and have a 15 month old.
    The only side effect I suffered was the ovary pain - and I didn't suffer with that the first time I took them. Good luck. x

6. Thanks for all the replies.
    I took my last pill this morning and have had no side effects at all, but I'm on a low dose of only 50mg so that might be why.
    Got my first tracking scan early Monday morning (at least I haven't got to ask for time off) and that will be day 12, so a little later than they like to do it, but if they don't scan on weekends there's not much I can do! Hopefully there will be at least on nice, big, fat egg ready and I can jump OH!

7. I meant to say I started on 50mg and my dosage was increased to 100mg. Tracking scans are really good and it's amazing to see what's happening in there!!

8. Officialy 1DPO today. Blood test on Thursday - really hope it's first time lucky.

9. paeony

paeony Occasional commenter

Really hope so xx

10. eac902

eac902 New commenter

Can I jump in with a question for any ladies who been on clomid? Started af yesterday (so I thought) but since initial bit of blood not had much since. Not sure if I should begin taking Monday which would be day 3, or wait to see if/when I get proper flow. Can't miss it, have such long cycles I'd be waiting til Xmas! Any thoughts? Thanks

11. They say to count from day of proper flow, but if your blood has almost stopped maybe AF hasn't started yet (maybe implantation?). If you're still confused, maybe ring the hospital to see what they say. I had to call on day 1 anyway so they could book me in for a cd10 scan. Sorry I'm not much help.

12. eac902

eac902 New commenter

Hi Antoniou thanks so much for response. Why can't even this be straightforward? Not under hospital care so can't ring. GP will just tell me to read instructions and I'm sure that is to count day of proper flow. However, when I haven't ovulated in a cycle, I only ever get this really really light , cramp-free spotting for about 5 days, just like this. It hasn't stopped or anything, just hasn't gotten any heavier.
    I'm 100% sure I haven't ov'd, no temp shift, no positive opk, no cramps or sore nipples (had these the last 3 times I've ov'd, i.e. every single time I've ov'd in 14 months).
    I am scared to start it Monday in case I get a surprise heavier flow in the week and have messed up taking clomid (unlikely), but also don't want to wait for a proper af that won't come. Argh!!!

13. First cycle on 50mg unsuccessful as AF arrived overnight. As I only produced one follicle and progesterone was a bit low I've been told to up my dose to 100mg. Start again tomorrow.

14. eac902

eac902 New commenter

So sorry af got you antoniou. I guess at least knowing prog levels weren't great is meaning they've decided to increase dosage. Hope you respond better to 100mg. How are you feeling about it? X

15. Felt really tearful last night as I was so convinced it had worked. I think it's more the thought that if clomid doesn't work it'll most likely be IVF and that's scary.

16. paeony

paeony Occasional commenter

Keep the faith. It's a low dose, the 100 dose will get you more follicles & more chances xx

17. For got to take the clomid this morning and with a meeting after work I was starting to panic.
    Thankfully, I don't live far from school and my mum's house is inbewteeen me and work, so I've had to quickly phone her and ask if she can bring them to work for me! It's a good job she lives nearby and has a key!