1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone on a 0.4 contract teaching 5 afternoons?

Discussion in 'Part-time and job share' started by rebekahsibley, Jun 7, 2018.

1. rebekahsibley

rebekahsibley New commenter

Hi, I would be really grateful for any advice. I am currently on 0.4 permanent contract and have been for the last 6 years. Today my headteacher said she could only offer me 5 afternoons from September due to PPA cover only happening during the afternoons. I should have asked her if that would be more than 0.4 as it’s over 5 days. Is there a way to easily calculate fractional salaries at all? Thanks

2. rebekahsibley

After seeing that my contract is 0.4231 stating that I do 14.5 working hours, I guess I need to find out what working hours actually mean. Part time teaching is becoming more and more difficult with all the cuts being made.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

If you are on STPCD look at pages 70 -72 of STPCD 2017 for deatlied explanation for how you translate the hours you work into a percentage of FTE

https://assets.publishing.service.g..._pay_and_conditions_document_2017.pdf#page=70

If on STPCD it's obligatory to calculate it that way. But even if not use it anyway.

4. rebekahsibley

Thanks for your help. My school is an academy, but I'm sure the same pay conditions apply. Will have a look tonight.

5. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

It's quite common for 5 mornings to be 0.6 so 0.4 does sound right for 5 afternoons. Is your current contract over two complete days? I can see that 5 afternoons would be convenient for the school, but it's not ideal for you, particularly if you currently do supply on your free days - not many supply bookings are mornings only.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. rebekahsibley

Hi Lalad. Thanks for your post. Yep, I can see that 0.4 contract equals to 5 afternoons as the afternoons are shorter than the mornings. At the moment I’m teaching 1 day and 2 other afternoons, so all over 3 days. Working 5 afternoons prevents other work and doing anything else really. I asked for voluntary redundancy, but as I am still being offered the hours my request was rejected. Looks like they are trying to get rid of me and it’s time to look for a new job.

agathamorse likes this.