1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone offering GCSE ICT in their year 9 options this year?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by l0vaduck, Jan 18, 2012.

1. I'm doing assembly next week for year 9. Wondering whether I should be offering GCSE ICT because the rumour rife around the building is that ICT is being "abolished".
    What are others doing?

2. I'm doing assembly next week for year 9. Wondering whether I should be offering GCSE ICT because the rumour rife around the building is that ICT is being "abolished".
    What are others doing?

3. ICT will remain compulsory until 2014,
    however the programme of study is to be abolished from September - we
    will have two years to teach ICT as we see fit. From 2014 the
    new curriculum will come in to force, which in the words of the DfE
    site will see "ICT replaced with rigorous Computer Science"

4. ICT remaining compulsory doesn't seem to mean much, since our students have been opting out of it for years. I was wondering how to justify GCSE ICT to parents and students.

5. Same way I've always done. Offers a mix of practical skills with theoretical understanding packaged in an easily identifiable qualification (GCSE). If you want something more practical/vocational - Nationals/iMedia. If you want something more technical or with programming, Computing.

We traditionally get 3 classes of ICT and 1 each of Nats, iMedia and Computing.

The last thing I'm going to do is have a knee jerk reaction to throw the whole thing away at the last possible moment (our options forms are already printed!) without carefully thinking through the consequences and ramifications. That's something the government would do!

6. chris1980

chris1980 New commenter

We do BTEC cerificate in ICT 90 glh 1GCSE on 1 period per week - able students can finish this in one year to pass standard anymore best to do it over two or three years or top up to 2 GCSEs
    I was toying with idea of GCSE too but my kids traditionaly dont do well in exams so thats what put me off as we have a very high pass rate at BTEC.

7. Hmmm - that was our approach, but then we entered our current year 11 early for their exam, (Edexcel) and were somewhat dismayed at the content of the exam paper, which doesn't seem to have much correspondence with the specification! Wondering now whether we should change exam boards or abandon the GCSE altogether, as it does not seem fit for purpose.

8. Of course the 90glh won't count in your headline figures in 2014 so it's not a necessarily a great choice for current Y9. It's not just about the league tables though...