1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone noticed we're paid peanuts?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by schoolsfordummies, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Just wondering. I mean, who recently got told their pay was 17K GBP in their pocket and thought, oh, yeah, that's a good deal? If that is you, you're a ********.

Best thing teachers can do is forget teaching and work on an oil platform. Better holidays and better pay.

2. I barely get the shells that the peanuts came in! Mind you there are education establishments out in the world that do pay well. In Italy the cost of living does not match the salaries - a bit like negative equity every month.

3. Show me the educational establishment that pays 5,000 GBP after tax per month. That is what is required.

Or else kick a football around instead of the oil platform, then it's 50,000 GBP a week.

4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

I knew the money that I was going to get before I did my degree. Money is not the reason that I came into teaching.

I now live very comfortably on a decent wage and save 75% of my salary as well as traveling business and having a couple of good holidays a year.

My sporting days were too early to have benefited from the gross money that is paid now but I still got paid a bit for my services. However, I wouldn't have given up teacher for it.

If your unhappy about your pay then go and do something else instead of whining on here

5. Too true Bigfatgit! I'm quite happy in teaching and also I knew about the salary - well UK salary! I don't need 5k per month but a little more than 1k would be welcome at the moment!

6. $5000/month net, sorry its only USD but we cant have everything in life!

Nobody is in a job for the good of their health, so why should teachers be underpaid.

Simple dont work for a school that pays "Chiken Feed", except if it is for VSO!

7. $4900............Whitenite give me some cashews.

8. Plus $825/month living allowance and $2500/year health insurance.

If you talk to all the other employed expats whose children you teach, ask them how much they get paid. Their companies pay all their expenses, housing, school fees and flights as part of their package.

Teachers provide a valuable service to the expat community to support them and their companies making money in foreign lands.

Therefore why should teacher work for ?Chicken feed? when all other expats are been given ?Caviar?.

9. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Your right (and the communist utopia would prevail).

It doesn't work. Some people get paid more for doing something than others. It's called Supply and Demand.

Basic fact of life - get used to it

10. And for my added encouragement when I have converted the sterling to my country's currency it is worth around 10% less this year than it was last year.

Anyone else who took a salary cut?

11. At least we had our salary fixed to a Euro rate of pay. So a pay rise infact over the year due to the Euro/Dollar exchange.

We also have at least 1 month bonus for every year worked. So work for 4 years get 6 months extra pay!

But it?s the ?Blacklegs and Scabs? who work for peanuts and chickenfeed that spoil things for ?professional? teachers. Some of the "better" international schools think they can pay "peanuts" now, because so many teachers except poor packages.

Its simple, just dont except a job that offers a poor package.

12. percy topliss

percy topliss Occasional commenter

The major reason that you will get paid peanuts is because you are a monkey. Most people know that working abroad won't keep you up there with the big boys of Hackney or Walthamstow. Mind you when I worked there I couldn't go home and watch the storms roll in over a tropical paradise whilst sipping a G and T and wondering which of a myriad restaurants to patronise that night! I could field phonecalls from colleagues though who were so close to nervous breakdowns that it wasn't funny.

Depends where you work and whether or not you do your homework before yoiu go, where I live I am on about 30 grand a year. Send about 3 Grand a month (with my partner) to our offshore account and still live like an absolute king. I have travelled to places that I would never have dreamt of a few years ago and watched England lose at rugby, football and cricket in some great places.

If you really are only earning that little and moaning I can only say, "right turn clyde!"

13. it seems most of you are missing the point. the salary for most of you may well be slightly lower than you would get back home, but would your school back home pay for your housing?

the beneits that are available in international teaching far outweight the one's back home, and for that reason, yes you do get a good package and yes it is comparable to being at home.

14. But free housing in the country you work in does not cover the cost of owning a house in your own country.

You need to look at the packages offered to other expat workers like engineers and managers.

15. Yes ..... but they've got proper jobs.

16. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I've been wondering why Topless topples into his trench every time I take a pot at him. I'd pegged him as a pusillanimous Percy but now I perceive that he periodically pops under his paliasse to count his prodigious pile of pesos.

17. Here in KSA most Saudi schools pay peanuts, but there is still the real opportunity to earn extra. Not having ready access to the G and T means there's little to spend money on.
    My reason for being here, and educating along the way, is to help pay off the UK mortgage and finance my kids through University at home. If I was a single person, there's no way I could manage the 'dry' nature of Riyadh life, but with UK commitments as my motivator, I get on well enough.
    The alternative in the UK might be preferable for a middle-aged man like myself, but there are many opportunities to grasp if you have the vision and determination.
    I save twice as much as my "salary" each month and even then the cultural shift has been a real learning experience. Will I stay once the mortgage has been paid off? That remains to be seen.

18. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

So, whitenite, you want a package that provides a house and a second house? I don't think that's reasonable as a basic expectation. For a second house, I would expect someone to have to scrimp and save from their salary.
    Teaching salaries back home aren't always high enough to cover buying a decent place. Many are renters.
    You could rent out the house back home to cover costs.
    Don't get me wrong, I prefer a salary that is high enough to pay a mortgage at home, and I think many actually are that high, once you factor in not having to pay rent or tax. But not every school can do that.
    If it's an important thing for a teacher, that teacher needs to pick the right school, rather than expect all schools to cover it.

19. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Sorry whitenite, if I came across aggressive. A little reflection this morning tells me I posted hastily.

Just a few thoughts on the peanuts question.
    Teachers should be paid fairly compared to other highly skilled professionals. We're not. It's not right. It is the way it is, and we knew it before we got into this game. We can work to change it, but it's too late on our part to claim we were blindsided or cheated. We willingly entered into the profession and the situation as it is. If anyone feels cheated, look in the mirror, remind yourself not to do it again, and choose another post or profession, one that pays what you feel is fair.

Money doesn't make happiness.
    Plenty can be saved on even a small salary by someone who is frugal. Little can be saved on a large salary by someone who always has to have the next new gadget, little luxury or interesting trip.
    I've worked in my fair share of international schools, and my packet has run the gamut from ridiculously low to quite comfortable. I currently earn more than 7 times what I earned in my lowest paying school. I loved that low paying school and the life I had there. I saved a little, not much, and had some very interesting times. I left because it was time to go, not because the money wasn't good. I'd happily go back to that school or one with a similar salary and situation, as I always had plenty to live on and a good time. Funnily enough, in that low paying school I had the second best house I've ever had from a school, as the meagre housing allowance went very far in that economy.
    My second highest paying school was by far my worst experience ever. No amount of money could have enticed me to stay there longer than my initial contract.
    Currently I have a very comfortable package and I am happy with my school and country. I came here because the job interested me, not because of the money. I'll leave when the job no longer appeals.

I don't like claims about what schools should or shouldn't do in terms of package. They do what they do and many really do offer as much as they can, though of course others cut corners. It is up to the applicant to look into all options and decide whether the school, country and package are suitable for them. After all, we don't head to the supermarket and claim that we should be charged less for sultanas just because they're important to us. And we certainly don't buy them, eat them, and then ask for a refund because the price was too high in the first place. The supermarket sets their prices, and we either pay them, look for other stores with better bargains, or live without sultanas. It's the same with schools. Look before you choose, but once you choose, no fair complaining that they don't pay enough. It's only fair to complain if the school doesn't pay you what's in the contract that you willingly signed.
    I'll step off my soapbox now.

20. I think as a professional we should be more critical about who we work for and what our rewards should be.

If its a bad package just walk away and go and find a better one. Supply and demand means that schools that offer poor pay and conditions have to make improvements, or nobody will want to work there.

There are a few small countries and several large companies that appear in these threads year after year. We as a profession should just boycott them until they improve their pay and conditions.

You only have yourself to blame if you are been paid chicken feed, dont be surprised that you will be expect to ?cluck? and ?lay eggs?.