1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone noticed a drop in sales?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by EC_Resources, Sep 5, 2016.

1. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

Worth also noting that *** is seemingly showing very little enthusiasm for UK sellers, so it's in our interest for TES to get it right... that is if they don't become obsessed with the US market themselves...

krisgreg30 likes this.
  2. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

That's interesting to hear as my offer was just £10 to become a gold member and that required around 8-10 resources at the time. Would have been worth a lot more on a £3 per resource.

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  3. krisgreg30

Totally agree. I would much rather work on resources for TES and get it right for fellow UK teachers but at the minute do feel like it would be of more benefit to use any spare time working on understanding the US market for the bigger rewards.

4. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

thanks!

mrajlong likes this.
  5. thinkypublishing

This is certainly the strategy of most of the sellers I've spoken with. The UK market is still very new and schools are still set up to buy from limited suppliers (though it bewilders me that TES have not yet sought to become one of those).

I quite like being involved with TES while they're actively developing and figuring it out - but the sensible short term option would definitely be with ***.

mathsmutt and krisgreg30 like this.
  6. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

7. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

I copy slides from my presentations and paste them on to the 'Paint' program. I then save them as a jpg files and upload them alongside my resources. This allows the buyers to see a more comprehensive array of resources and informs them about the variety offered within the bundle.

8. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

I lost motivation with ***. I didn't sell anything at all! Probably because my stuff was too UK tailored I imagine.
    Also I much prefer Tes' upload interface. *** takes forever.

I did sell a couple of things yesterday after all my moaning in the end too. Can't give up the day job yet though!

Skillsheets likes this.
  9. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

My resources often don't fit neatly into a particular category. I mostly publish sets of worksheets on a particular maths topic e.g. bearings. I never know whether to describe them as 'worksheet' or 'unit of work'. Other resources are aimed at older teenagers with low attainment in maths so the age range is 14+ whereas the 'maths age' could be as low as '5-7'. So it'd be by chance sometime that people know the right words to search for me.

10. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

Could you make your products title longer? For example, as well as "Time Basic" add more keywords which buyers may enter into the search.

I've already suggested to TES that they add a search box to each shop, so that once buyers find a shop they are interested in they can make a specific search for products, rather than having to scroll through every item on the list (which they're not going to do).

thinky likes this.
  11. thinkypublishing

I think so too. Technically TES is better to use from an uploading point of view (expect perhaps that *** has the convenience of the process all being on one page).

Unfortunately the front end isn't so good - it's very hard to sought through categories, the search only works well if you have an exact search term you're using, the catalogue is a mess (and all the other things that have been mentioned by others many times)... I'm sure they're all being looked at though.

emjcot likes this.
  12. thinkypublishing

I don't know how well it will work in general but I noticed that if I add my username to a search term it provides accurate results: thinky I Can Spell

I've started adding that kind of link to some products to help people find related resources. Obviously an individual search on the shop page would be better but until then...

13. krisgreg30

I do think that TES would benefit from expanding out some of the upload options for your file though. I've had the same issues as Skillsheets occasionally in picking what to put it as.

I believe sometimes it would be easier to have clearer curriculum objectives to match resources against and that would also help people with their searches as they can narrow it down/ expand if they wish.

14. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

@thinky @emjcot @mrajlong and everyone!

Thank you all for your really helpful feedback - we appreciate there has been mixed success for the recent sale and we can absolutely assure you, we are listening. Your feedback is being shared with relevant teams. There are some changes and tests coming for search soon which we hope will improve the experience and impact sales, as well as dashboard changes and better access to analytics. Bear with us!

As always we thank you for your feedback and patience as we make changes to support sales and author success.

For anything urgent please continue to email us at authors@tes.com

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  15. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

My sales haven't been bad, but I will wait and see how they compare to last year's at the end of the month. I think there will be growth but not as much as I had hoped.

16. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Is it not a matter of arithmatic? Tes encourage more teachers to post resources there everyones share goes down?

17. mathsmutt

mathsmutt Star commenter

I agree with this, but would ask that the search includes the curriculum in Scotland - we don't have KS1,2 and 3. You don't have BGE and Nationals .

:)

Alice K and krisgreg30 like this.
  18. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Well this is shaping up to be my worst ever term time Sunday sales figure. Not sure what has gone wrong. Am a little disheartened considering how many resources I added over the summer and I'm wondering if it was not an efficient use of my time. How is everyone else feeling about things. If time spent does not equal proportionate rewards then I can see my motivation dwindling. Early days in the academic year, I know, but I expected a lot better than this :(

19. krisgreg30

I'm feeling the same. Whilst sales seem ok they don't match the effort put in this summer. Going to plug along but possibly start shifting time and energy towards the more lucrative U.S market if feel effort isn't getting gains.
    I find it especially demoralising that I shared a unit of work for free that I would normally charge for in hope of feedback (explicitly stated in the info) and not had any. Whilst I'm aware reviews in general are an issue it makes me not want to bother adding freebies in future.

20. thinkypublishing

I never received reviews for freebies and don't feel that making them available on here ever provided any benefit so I removed most of them earlier in the year. They're still available on my website.

krisgreg30 likes this.