1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone noticed a drop in sales?

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by EC_Resources, Sep 5, 2016.

1. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

I was hoping to do well with sales this Sept, but it seems now whenever I do a search for most of the terms in my resource titles, loads of free resources with (up to) hundreds of reviews come up first.
    These are often very old and out of date too.
    I emailed Tes and they said it was because of a changed algorythym and they were reviewing it. So frustrating though.
    Anyone else noticed poor sales because of it?

Krazikas and CurriculumForAutism like this.
  2. CurriculumForAutism

CurriculumForAutism Occasional commenter

I've only been selling on this site since June, but I've noticed too that so many free resources come up!

A few weeks ago I suggested to TES that they change their main Resources page which has 5 Top Resources which are usually all free, to premium resources. They said they liked my idea, but last time I looked it's still free resources being promoted there.

mrajlong and emjcot like this.
  3. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

It says much that the sale has been extended. Many of my more recent resources have zero views, let alone sales.

4. CurriculumForAutism

I wonder how much TES promote premium resources outside of their own site? For exmple, I often see general tweets by @tes , but don't see many by @tesresources.

5. Skillsheets

Skillsheets Occasional commenter

Certainly down a lot on last year. Perhaps because there are more paid for resources and I stopped mine going into the sale and used my own reductions on the £2 items.

CurriculumForAutism likes this.
  6. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

I have been very disappointed with sales so far - especially considering the 'sale'. Either site has become diluted with too many resources; search isn't showing my resources or generally demand is low - bit concerned, but shall see how it goes. TES need to be wary of this effect or established authors will lose motivation - all that hard work for nowt!

7. EC_Resources

I was doing so well a few months ago, now its just free resources for pages sometimes. Surely as a business Tes Resources should take notice of this and change the search algorithm back asap? TES ARE YOU LISTENING????

If people want free ones, all they have to do is click the 'free resources' search button.
    As things are now authors have no chance!

Krazikas, Skillsheets and mrajlong like this.
  8. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

I clicked on home page and then clicked on whole school ... this is the top placed resource
    Christmas Quiz 2015 (1hr lesson)
    An 8 round Christmas quizConsists of :Round 1 – Adverts (Guess the 2015 Christmas Advert)Round 2 – Christmas ConfectionaryRound 3 – Christmas True or FalseRound 4 – Christmas DingbatsRound 5 – Celeb PhotosRound 6 – Christmas MoviesRound 7 – Stats RoundRound 8 – Christmas KnowledgeIts all on the powerpoint - don't show the pupils the adverts (you will need access to youtube); I have added a little comment about how long to play each one because some do say the companies name !Enjoy !

Also on that page a resource with the headline 'How can I managed my time effectively?' These are in top spots and have been on that page for many months.

Old, out of date resources and one with a blatant error.

What is the point of TES encouraging us to create more and more resources when the ones we have spent loads of time and effort on are not getting viewings?

I, and others, have made many positive suggestions for improvements but they don't seem to be getting listened to and things seem to be getting worse for authors of paid resources.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  9. mrajlong

Good point. Thinking of ways to market myself cos if I wait for my turn on tes it could be a long wait. Some resources and authors seem to get better promotion though. I won t mention names but you don't have to look far to find them. One resource for years 3/4 was on the resources homepage for most of the summer! This needs addressing urgently me thinks. It seems that quantity over quality has been encouraged which will damage consumer confidence and the quality resources are hidden away where they are hard to find if not impossible.

CurriculumForAutism and Krazikas like this.
  10. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

Certainly agree that certain individuals/ groups seem to get monopoly of pages. I've noticed an unnamed one dominate pages in a row with resources.

Another issue for me is that the front pages don't update often enough and so as you say you end up seeing the same thing all summer. Needs to be a more flexible period or even something set up that automatically changes them each day/ week.

In relation to the original post, I've actually seen my best daily sales figures in the past 4-5 days though though my previous ones weren't particularly massive/ regular anyway.

11. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

The sale has been quite positive for me. Pre-sale, not so much. A dry summer! I do think buyers will become more savvy and wait for the sales. Especially if TES follow the same patterns as last year.

12. Alice K

Alice K Occasional commenter

I also feel that sales are down from last year. My resources are very reasonably priced - many £1 and several £2. They are extensive and provide breadth and depth. However, more often than not, it is the resources that have reviews, that seem to sell well. It is frustrating when you know that the others are of a high standard as well. I always upload jpg files so any prospective buyers can peruse what is on offer as thoroughly as possible. I think that the search function is not operating accurately enough.

13. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

Does yours allow you to upload Jpg's then as mine never does?
    I feel at the minute the system is massively flawed and feel annoyed that after receiving numerous emails trying to get me to make enough gold resources and managing it I never received the promised reward.

14. EC_Resources

Yeah the freebies are a lot more likely to get reviews, as hundreds more people download them!

Perhaps 10 reviews for a freebie should be worth as much as one for a paid one. Paid reviews don't happen anywhere near as often.

I reckon people are more likely to give high reviews if they're getting something for free too. I know I do to be honest!

Not sure what's happening with the search keyword terms either. Seem a bit all over the place right now.

Fingers crossed for the weeks to come!

15. thinkypublishing

No matter what they do with the search it's going to be hindered by the volume of old and low quality resources clogging up the catalogue. From what I've seen the engineers are doing a great job taking on board feedback and making technical improvements. Unfortunately the same effort/progress hasn't been visible on the general management of resources and marketing/promotion. I'm sure this is not for lack of effort but more due to the sheer scale of the task caused by that volume of 'cloggage'.

16. CurriculumForAutism

I got 5 emails encouraging me to upload resources in August, the last one promised a bonus payment of £3 for each premium resource, which would be paid to me at start of September. I have not been paid for any of them.
    Did anyone receive their bonus payment?

17. Krazikas

Krazikas Occasional commenter

I have some resources on the *** web site - that has many, many more resources than TES - however, my resources seem to get 'found' there... I personally think that the search facility is lacking on TES. I do feel that prime landing pages on the TES site keep regurgitating old resources. I think that there should be a section somewhere devoted to 'new resources.' I also think there should a facility to search for 'paid' resources on the drop down menu.

18. CurriculumForAutism

I agree!
    The *** homepage features the stores of all premium sellers on a constant rotation, giving everyone an equal chance.

Krazikas likes this.
  19. mrajlong

Hi C for A. I e-mailed tes and they said bonus will be paid within 14 days of close - 31st August that is

20. thinkypublishing

There's a considerable difference between the quality of resources at *** than on TES - perhaps in part because TES has historically been a place for free resources whereas *** is quite strict on limiting how many free resources may be uploaded.

Having said that the quality of many resources on *** is only skin deep - nice shiny cover, not so good below.