1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone not in a union?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by xmal, Jan 27, 2011.

1. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

Currently in the EIS but none too pleased with their cosy relationship with the LAs. What's the alternative?

2. xmal

Currently in the EIS but none too pleased with their cosy relationship with the LAs. What's the alternative?

3. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

I am not in a union, I left the EIS years ago, largely through not wanting to be associated with them, and due to some local issues too. If I was to join a union it would be the SSTA.

4. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

[​IMG]

5. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

I'm thinking about changing over to SSTA from EIS. It was a fairly arbitrary decision at the start of the career, to be honest. Now I have more of an understanding of what they actually do. Misterroy, much is made of having to be in a union for the legal assistance there if required at least. Do you have an alternation provision for this?

6. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

My alternative provision is being very careful. I work in technical so I am at more danger than most of you, but then again I may be more used to being careful.

My fallback position: I will not be sued by parents, my authority will. The authority may then come after me, but maybe not. If I was negligent I'm stuffed,with or without a union. If I wasn't I'd pay for a lawyer of my choice, like my friend had to and she was the EIS rep, she won her case. (Doing PT job but not paid the rate)

I have not paid union dues in about 19 years. Shame I cant stop the GTC wasting my money..

7. I'm not in a union.

Similarly, I drive my car without insurance. I'm very careful, so it won't be an issue for me.

8. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

If you were driving a bus for the council would you buy the insurance yourself?

9. xmal

Sometimes being careful is not enough. I think I'll move to the SSTA. I don't think the car insurance analogy is that accurate as insurance is only payable under certain circumstances whereas a union (in theory) should always fight your corner.

10. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

At the time I left the EIS there were posters up in the staffrooms about doing a PTs work and not getting paid a PT salary. A teacher at my school had no PT and she did the work. She was also the union rep for the EIS.
    The EIS would not take her case on. She went to court and won, self financed.
    At the same time a friend of a friend in another school was told if he did not attend school on friday the headmaster would take his non attendance as his resignation letter. He attended the job interview on the friday, and luckily got the job. The EIS did not back him up through the week, he was in the union.
    My friend had at that time private insurance for legal fees occuring through work. I phoned up a local insurance agent. He could not see the point in getting an insurance policy. The parents sue the employer, not the teacher. The employer's insurance stumps up, or not.
    How many teachers in Scotland have been sued, and had to personally pay for an event at their school?

11. When I needed union help when I started our eis rep was great. It didn't matter when I phoned, day or night, he phoned back. Emails came straight back. He chased HR and was never off their back. But I think he retired 2 years ago.

12. oliyio7ersk,.gtl;';/

13. xmal

I'm definitely going to dump the EIS but I think I'll stay put until after the strikes when everything has settled down.

14. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I agree [​IMG]