1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone moving to Qatar this September?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by truth_seeker12, Apr 7, 2017.

1. truth_seeker12

truth_seeker12 Occasional commenter

So, Iv been offered a job in Doha and have accepted the position. The preparation has started and it's been creeping up on me that I will not have a social life as I won't know anyone there. If anyone is also making the move and wants to discuss anything or make a friend before getting there then drop me a PM.

The whole process of moving seems a daunting task and it's nothing like moving to another location in Europe. Iv gone past the stage of thinking over all the negatives and hoping for the best. Iv read up on some horror stories but this school has been amazing from stage 1 and iv never experienced such care from a school before.

I'm currently in the process of attesting documents from 2 countries. The process in the UK is straight forward (although costly) but Spain seems to be difficult. If anyone knows a company that can help then please advise.

The next step will be to find a reloable shipping company. Please advise if you have used anything the past. Thanks in advance.

P.s. the Hippo is great for advice for newbies like me. Amazing guy

khal009 likes this.
  2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

It's nice to be appreciated, even if you are fat, smelly and covered in mud.

T0nyGT likes this.
  3. v_gurl_6

v_gurl_6 New commenter

Which school are you moving to?

4. truth_seeker12

Didnt realise I had a response on this post. It seems that there are not as many people moving as I thought.

5. isotonic

isotonic Occasional commenter

I am also moving out to Qatar however am a lil fortunate that have a couple of relatives and family friends already there! however could do with some help about shipping as well..got an allowance for it but do not know what steps to take..etc.

6. truth_seeker12

I also have friends and cousins there. Some who have told me horror stories of their traching jobs and some who have stuck it out and now enjoy it.

I got an allowance but I will have to go beyind that. I am shipping from Spain and UPS seems to be the cheapest company. The problem is that you cant sign for it until you have your RP. I dont understand why other IDs wont work but anyways, you can send to your relatives a d they can sign for it before you there so you have whatever you need from day 1.

7. fmohamed1234

fmohamed1234 New commenter

Take it all with you dont ship as you could be waiting for months for your shipping to come. You could ask for an upgrade on your flight which would mean a higher baggage allowance.

truth_seeker12 likes this.
  8. teachercricket21

teachercricket21 New commenter

Hi

I am also moving to Qatar and am currently going through the attestation process. We have a lot ship to Qatar from the UK as a family of 6, any advice would be much appreciated.

9. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My advice would be to reply to the silly TES "Conversation" thing I have sent to you, teachercricket21. Also be super-critical about what to take and what not to take with you. Lots of household items may be waiting for you in your new apartment. Some things can be collected the next time you are back in the UK or else you could persuade friends and family to bring them with them when they come and visit you.

10. isotonic

isotonic Occasional commenter

Less is more -I would be happy to take only a few items but tell that to the Mrs - although she has a point on kids clothing as I hear that it is not as good as the UK - if only they had a Primark and Matalan out in Qatar!

I have an allowance of upto 400kg or a certain amount of $$ but surely that wont be allowed on the flight with us as that converted would be much higher than the $$ allowance provided - I take it we would have to pay the max excess kg for the flight and the remainder $$ would go towards shipping things

11. fmohamed1234

fmohamed1234 New commenter

They do have a basic Matalan no Primark though I think if they had primark it would be perfect. If you pay for your baggage allowance in advance or ask for an upgrade it works out better. Clothing quality is rubbish in Qatar and expensive. A tip make sure you have extra shoes I found this a hard find as they not the same quality as here.