1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone moving schools in Sept? Such a hard time to say goodbye!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by onbekende, Jun 30, 2020.

1. onbekende

onbekende New commenter

I feel I've really gelled with my classes during the past three months, almost like never before - even the shy kids, or the sometimes 'difficult' kids have really got on board. It's a private school so we've been having a lot of contact with them online and I've been running some online clubs too. Now having built up this rapport during these intense times, I feel sure we'll keep a lot of that team spirit once we're back in school in September. Except we won't. Because I'm not going back... I'm moving school!

I really feel quite conflicted and am second-guessing my decision to move on, even though on paper all the reasons why new job will be better for me than current one still apply. It just feels like after all we've been through these past few months, leaving my y10 and y12 groups especially feels unexpectedly brutal. I wish I could just snap out of it and get as excited about my new role as I was when I accepted it!

Is anyone else in similar position? Does anyone have any words of wisdom.

2. dts

dts Occasional commenter

I'm moving on as well, and it also feels very strange. I think that at the moment, because we are lacking the normal social contact we would have away from work (as are the kids), we are investing more than we normally would in our relationships with our teaching groups. Once things settle down again, we won't feel as strongly as we do now - kids will (hopefully) remember us fondly, but they'll be absolutely fine without us.

onbekende and agathamorse like this.
  3. ld7675

ld7675 Occasional commenter

Yes, don't feel like there's any real closure or goodbye either with children or other staff. All the usual things are gone. However, the whole crisis has given me a bit of mental space to reflect on the fact that moving on is the right thing to do and what I want to get out of the new role.

onbekende likes this.
  4. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I'm leaving my post at the end of this term without a job to go to. My only advice would be to look forward to your new role - you had reasons for applying for it and you have been successful. You are bound to be sad about leaving, especially when it's hard to say a proper goodbye. Good luck to all of you with your new jobs!

onbekende likes this.
  5. violingirl

violingirl New commenter

I too have left with no job to go to and it is a strange time to leave! Not even a leaving card but I totally understand that the pandemic is foremost in people's minds. Just a strange 'fizzling out' though.

onbekende likes this.
  6. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Yes, however, I am fine with it as I don't generally like the whole school farewell debacle but I am thinking about how to tell my classes through distant learning.

onbekende likes this.
  7. br0wnsugar

That's precisely how I have evaluated the situation - this was cemented during this crisis but I handed in my notice back in Feb so before covid19 was official. It just felt right to move on then and even more NOW.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    onbekende likes this.
  8. br0wnsugar

I, too have a yr10 and 12 group but more thinking about how to tell them and when (through on line learning) platform, even though there is no guarantee that the same class will be with you (depending on who is deciding what happens in the new school year etc. However, there were signs that a trainee teacher I was mentoring and co teaching with the yr10 group would perhaps take on the group.

onbekende likes this.