1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone moved away from the Maths Primary Framework?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nmason, Mar 4, 2012.

1. nmason

nmason New commenter

Just wondering if anyone's school has moved away from the Maths Primary Framework and if so what are you using/doing instead? We are finding that since moving on to it our levels are not as good as they used to be and staff are not happy with it for a number of reasons (eg year 4 don't start doing any formal written methods until the spring term).

2. I've never worked to it, never mind moved away from it! I use the 'securing levels' documents. Lots of AfL and securing the basics.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

We don't use it all across the school. Some year groups do and some don't.

Those who don't use it use NC levels instead and so teach children the next step from where they are.

This is a useful document for doing so...
    https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/learning/west_sussex_grid_for_learning/curriculum/mathematics/primary_mathematics/assessment/progression_through_sublevels.aspx

Click on the supporting document link.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I like that idea a lot. Do you find it easy to plan just from the documents?

5. Yes. I focus on Place Value, until I'm satisfied that they are reasonably secure, then I move on. I try to get a lot of the data into Science teaching. I give them regular assessments, and plan where to go from there.

6. Sounds like a breath of fresh air! We use the blocks and units religiously: I always feel like we are moving on just as children are starting to get something - no time for consolidation or just plain old-fashioned practice.
    I try and consolidate through starters, but it just seems so bizarre to keep moving children on even when they haven't grasped something. I always feel we need to focus more on number, place value and calculation, and only move on once they are secure.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I might have a chat with my HT tomorrow and see what he says. Or I might just have a go with the 'securing level' documents to plan and not tell him until it is up and running.

Just because I'm nosy, what do you use for English? There aren't 'securing level...' documents are there?

8. We still use the objectives from the Nat Strat as I think APP doesn't cover it all, but our LA came in and split down the core learning into Autumn, Spring & Summer terms, which I personally have found has really helped my teaching.

It's no longer so bitty, I always felt that I was catching myself up constantly, but this way, we can use say the Spring Term planner, look at what we need to include and then make our own new-term plans from them. It's meant I can now see much more clearly where my class are going, where my teaching is going and it builds up a lot more. It also gives me more room to say, 'OK, they're not getting this, let's look at the plans... yeh we can spend another week on that'. Never felt I could do that using the Nat Strat as it is laid out as there's the fear you will never catch up!!

9. That sounds exactly the sort of planning we need to move on. Does your LA have a website with it on?

10. nmason

nmason New commenter

Thanks, there are some useful replies. I'm not sure I'd be happy planning just from the securing levels or APP, maybe a mix as I don't feel they cover all that needs to be done (APP for example would be even more of a beast if it had everything on it). Is there any chance I could have a copy of what your LA did Alrightmebabbers? Shall I PM you? I was thinking of using the year core learning objectives from the framework and breaking them down in to terms (I assume that is what you are referring to?).

11. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

The whole point of not working to an externally defined framework is so that you as a professional can decide what the particular group of children which you are teaching need to do next in order to progress. Deciding in advance what should be taught in each term based upon the age of the children is one of the things which makes the framework a poor planning tool. Re-creating this is pointless.