1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone made their own Scotch?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lilyofthefield, Mar 23, 2011.

1. ....my son would like to know? Dismayed at the price of his favoured (and moderately consumed) tipple and incandescent with rage at the amount of duty on booze generally (he has no real interest in govt interference in public health and thinks people's lifestyle choices should be their business and their responsibility), he is reading on the internet about how to make your own.
    I have warned him that I am not having him breaking the law on my premises; and that moonshine makes you go blind and then insane (and having looked at a number of online home-distilling communities, he is inclined to agree), but he bet that at least one one outwardly respectable person on here would be at it.
    So is it you?

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Scotch, no - the lack of oak barrels and room to let the raw stuff mature (plus a grim lack of patience) precluded it.
    I did, however, make a dubious gooseberry brandy a few years back which did not blind me nor cause me to dream of giant spiders

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I once made a marijuana hock that was easily as debilitating as neat scotch.
    But no it isn't me.

4. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Probably best to leave it to the experts! Just tell him to put it on his Xmas list if it's too expensive for him to buy.

5. My ex inlaws used to make homemade wine prolifically. They made a "carrot whisky" that tasted like (really rough) whisky. It had the added benefit of taking the hairs off your chest at the same time - positively lethal stuff.
    They used to make this in 5 gallon demijohns and usually had 3 on the go at any time.
    Oh, and it produced hang-overs from hell.
    I wouldn't recommend it.

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

It's not the distilling bit that causes any problems but as dz has said it requires maturing in oak barrels (preferably ex-sherry barrels for taste).
    Get him started on a decent home-made wine instead?

7. Unfortunately he was introduced to the made-from-chemistry-storeroom still that my brother lovingly kept in his loft (and hasn't used since he was 18 I should add). That's where this line of cretinous thinking has come from.

8. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Tell him the Scottish economy depends of him not trying to make the stuff himself!

9. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

It'll have to be matured for 12yrs to make anything that's worth drinking, has he sozzled his remainding braincells? [​IMG]

10. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I can't really see the problem. He will have a go, get bored and move out before the 12 year maturation period is completed.

11. Um, did he do enough chemistry to learn that he needs to be VERY careful to make sure he makes drinking alcohol and not the poisonous variety?

12. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

I suspect that it's one of those process that needs a fairly large critical mass to be successful. Making and maturing 200ml of fine whisky would be really difficult, 8 barrels if you had the time, space ingredients and equipment would probably be more likely to work.
    As previous posters have said, spirits can be made, but it is difficult dangerous and illegal.
    A daydream would be to spend the last 10-15 years of active working life in a distillery. Don't think it'll happen though.
    P

13. This isn't an urban myth.
    When I was a child, an elderly neighbour was blinded by it. There's no way of measuring how much alcohol the home brewed stuff has and if you get it wrong...[​IMG]

14. My brother? He had done A-level but thought he knew it all. My parents didn't know what he was up to - he kept the stuff in the shed. Of course he didn't let it mature - unless a fortnight in a couple of pop bottles is maturing - and it was beyond disgusting. I had a swig and nearly heaved. I thought I'd drink anything at 20 but I actually feared for my health. I wouldn't have used it to take my nail varnish off with, although I'm sure it would have done a cracking job.
    Nah, this will come to naught. I shall tell him you are fine, abstemious, law-abiding, upstanding pillars of society.

15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'd have thought a safer method would be to concentrate it by freezing it. I know nothing about it other than this thought however.

16. You can perfectly legally, because you don't distil it, and will never get a 70 proof, buy a product called Ginora at the home brew shop. You brew just as you would wine or beer. It comes out clear like water and can be drank it than state or you can add a spirit of your choice and you end up x no of litres of same.
    I think it's ten to one, but don't quote me on that we last brewed this about 25 years ago.
    Good luck to him.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Scotch broth with home made ginger beer added is very tasty and intoxicating.

18. I made my own toffee vodka (i.e. with a bottle of bought vodka) last weekend, but I bet he classes that as something poncy and pathetic that old ladies do.
    Get him making Rumtopf. That will keep him occupied for the rest of the year.

19. Mr C and I made three of them [​IMG]

20. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Buy tesco value vodka and flavour it. Mrs marinades christrmas puddding ingrediaents in it, strains it and then puts it back in the bottle. It is potent and tasty. She also used the fruit in a cake so you get vodka flavoured cake as a bonus.