1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anyone live and work in the same area?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by homegirl, Feb 10, 2011.

1. I'm considering applying for a job in a school very near where I live, my son will go to the school, when he starts. I'm just not sure if I want to work so close to home (it is a nice area) and have many children and parents know where I live, and be teaching in the same school as my son.Has anyone had any experiences of doing this? Thanks, know there are more pressing issues being discussed just now :(

2. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

Hi Homegirl, there are swings and roundabouts to working so close to home - especially if your own children will attend the school where you work.

I previously worked in a school within a stones throw from my house. It was obviously very handy and I could walk to work, saving money on petrol, and be home at a reasonable time after completing all my preparation/marking in school etc. I could also jump home at lunchtime (even at playtime) for a bite to eat and to handle quick domestic things. Having your kids in your own school is ideal for transportation and built-in childcare, e.g. they can do their homework or play quietly while you complete your work after 3pm. You also get to see all their school performances, sports days etc.

On the downside...pupils living within my estate! They'd come to our house to play with my children, so you have to watch everything you do and say. It's also difficult to separate your work and private life as you are forever bumping into pupils and parents in the street and at the local shops. This can be awkward, especially if you are having issues with a particular child or family. It can also be awkward in dealing with your colleagues who are teaching your own children - for both of you.

Finally, having a child at your own school can cause other subtle difficulties. Will your child get a fair crack at representing the school, e.g. external activities, main parts in the school show etc. I didn't experience this myself but other colleagues have complained that their sons or daughters were constantly overlooked for such roles due to the HT being reluctant to favour the child of a class teacher, i.e. always worrying what other parents would think. Others would say that the children of teachers get preferential treatment in these matters. It all depends on how fair the HT is.

3. JPM1967

JPM1967 New commenter

Aaaarrrggghh! Formatting & paragraphs. I hate Google Chrome!

4. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi homegirl, I'd say go for it - if you are happy for your son to be a pupil there (and you say it's a nice area) then forget how close to home it is! Lots of teachers live and work in the same area - I always have done and only once was that a problem (when a horrible S2 girl gave me a mouthful of verbal abuse in a chemist shop on a Saturday. I mentioned it to my PT on the Monday who passed matter onto Guidance (I hadn't asked him to, but was glad he did) and girl was told off).
    I taught both my sons in primary (music) and son 1 was so proud, son 2 was affronted!! Son 1 was always 1st to put hand up in class and I was reluctant to allow him to answer (I was young and not very experienced). Fortunatley, the Depute HT (also a very good friend) was in observing and noticed me "ignoring" my lad - she told me how wrong that was and I should treat him like any other enthusiastic P4 - I took note of what she said and it was fine.
    I didn't teach them at secondary school altho' I was a teacher at the same high school where they were pupils. Again son 1 would smile and say "Hi Mum" in the corridor, son 2 would walk the other way! Neither of them "suffered" as a result of me being a teacher. The only bad bit was when son 2 did an extra higher in S6, and the teacher was forever at me because he did not hand in his work early - it was never late. I told her I was her colleague at school and X's Mum at parents' nights - if she wanted his work in early and it wasn't - that was her problem not his or mine.
    So long as you are professional ("Miss" at school and "Z's Mum" at home) living within walking distance won't be a problem - good luck!

5. Can I just say that these are two of the most positive, thoughtful, well balanced replies I have ever seen on this site. I am sorry I do not have anything relevant to provide food for thought for you, but I just wanted to give well deserved praise to these replies. It is nice to be nice! :)

6. Many of my colleagues have children at our school and it's not an issue. Half the time I don't even realise until parents' night and even then some send a partner. I don't live in the community I teach in but I run into kids and parents all the time anyway. I've never found it a problem.

7. I would think very carefully about this.
    My kids went to the school I taught at and whilst my daughter was quite happy, my son absolutely hated it and in hindsight I wouldn't do it again.
    From my point of view it was convenient in that we were all going to the same place, I didn't have to drop them off and then make my way to work and again at the end of the day I didn't have to make arrangements to have them collected and I could see all their plays and performances etc.
    However, part of going to school is about forging your own way apart from your parents and developing as a person in your own right. That is difficult when mum knows everything that's going on. You also have to consider what will happen if you are less than satisfied with what's going on in the classroom. It's more difficult to complain because you are dealing with a colleague and that can have repercussions in the staff room and on your working life.
    You also rightly identified that it is more difficult to separate working and home life because you have to watch what you say and do as you are dealing with children and pupils on two levels. If you're in a promoted post - don't even go there!
    If there are children living round about who go to another school, I would be sending my children there. If not I don't suppose there is an alternative because it is preferable that your children attend the same school as those in neighbouring houses otherwise they may find themselves 'out of the loop' during out of hours.
    Have you considred requesting a transfer?
    No easy answer to this one.

8. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Louella,
    Son 2 felt this way too but geographically we didn't have any option.
    As I didn't teach him, and if he had apperared on my class-list the school would have rearranged the class so as I didn't teach him - this was down to the geographical fact that chances were if you were a teacher in this area your offspring would be pupils in the catchment area!
    My sons are now in their late 20s and happily settled 350 miles away from home. We met up this weekend and I asked how they had felt at secondary school whilst mother had been a teacher there: Son 1 recalled the security of having me there since he was a newbie in S3 and was unsure ho whe would settle in; Son 2 remembered that he would have had to get the school bus had I not been the taxi service for 6 years!!
    When at school be a teacher 1st and don't embarrass your kids, but be professional, and adult enough to know that if they need you as Mum, you are there.
    Mums know how to work this one out!!
    Do what you think is best and enjoy sharing schools!!

Joni xx