1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone left a overseas contract half way through?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mrswindows54, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Anyone left a overseas contract half way through? What happened?

2. Anyone left a overseas contract half way through? What happened?

3. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Why do you want to know?

4. I am interested in working overseas but want to know is I really hate it can I leave (with a sensible notice period) after one year or are you legally obliged to complete the whole contract.

5. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Most schools have a "get out" clause in the contract, allowing you to leave after a certain period of time, so that you can buzz off without too many hard feelings.
    Most interntional schools have two-year contracts. Is it really so bad, OP, that you do not think that you can put up with it for two years?

6. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

You are usually expected to stay for the term of your contract partly because a lot of time and money will have been spent recruiting you and getting you over the school to work.
    The vast majority of people at least see out the term of their contract and of course there are those who don't.
    On the whole, leaving before the end of your contract is looked upon negatively by most people working overseas because of the impact it has on all (the school, teachers, head and pupils).
    Schools have different approaches to earley leavers. Some encourage you to be open if you have problems or want to leave so at least it is out in the open and can be worked with as effectivelly as possible with minimum impact on the school.
    There will probably be financial implications for you too if you leave early (losing gratuity, final air fare, baggage allowance etc).
    The bottom line is you should do your homework as much as possible so that there is little chance you will want to leave. There is nothing stopping anybody doing a runner (ie getting on a plane and flying home with a suitcase) but generally I would advise against it.

7. Some schools have one year contracts. However even with a 2 year contract I suppose many would be willing to let you go so long as you gave them your intention by about Christmas before you intend to leave.
    However, if you're already looking for ways to get out before you've even applied for jobs then I would seriously reconsider your ambitions. This isn't really for the faint hearted.

8. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Some very good advice from robbywilliams66 and stopwatch.
    The onus is on you, OP, to do your homework properly and try to find out as much as you can about the school and the country. Yes, there are some absolutely dreadful international schools and that's why you should join the ISR. (Of course there are those who say that the ISR's reviews are only written by mudslingers and s***stirrers, but usually there is plenty of mud to sling and s*** to stir.)
    Wimping out and not completing your contract will not look good on your CV.

9. Ooh, steady, Robby - jumping out of a plane or dangling your lob in a lions mouth are not 'for the faint hearted'. An overseas' (is that pedantic or incorrect?) post abroad, when it goes right, is very good for the heart.
    But I agree, the OP doesn't really sound like it is going to be for them.
    But, I tell you what, though - I'm glad that lion had just eaten...

10. So... how did the rugby go today?

11. Underwear was challenged but came through....
    Or were you referring to the more local variety?

12. The World Cup - i just wanted to be able to judge the mood of certain 'rugby-type' members of the school in advance (and who to take the p**s out of).

13. Take the mick out of Tongans, Romanians and Argentinians, though English and Scottish staff could do with a leg pull too (thought both won). And French, learn some Japanese and talk to the French staff...