1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone lead functional skills in a secure setting?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by YOI_Teacher, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Just as the thread title says, I work in a secure setting and am looking to perhaps chatting with someone that has FS setup/running for some advice....
    Thanks
    :)

2. Just as the thread title says, I work in a secure setting and am looking to perhaps chatting with someone that has FS setup/running for some advice....
    Thanks
    :)

3. Hi

Happy to help if I can... I have been working with FS - English - Entry level plus level1 and 2. Our School embarked on this route of qualification this year. I work with a shelter group -mixed ability and some disaffected students -the project has been enlightening and created a positive response from my students so far! I am not the centre of all knowledge but ...what would you like to discuss?

4. Thank you!
    How have you arranged the timetable for FS?
    Do you teach explicit PSHE leading to one qualification, and then the rest as one subject incorporating all FS areas?
    Do you offer specific vocational qualifications for the foundation course?
    I suppose what I need to know is how has your school gone about it all - in total lol!
    Do you follow "mini projects" type learning that incorporate all of the foundation learning needed ie lit, num, it, pshe and any vocational courses? Do you have to incorporate the vocational learning?
    Are your students on programmes intended to last academic years or shorter periods of time?
    WHat happens when your students have achieved the academic level you are aiming at - what courses do they move onto!!!
    Sorry for all of the questions.... [​IMG]

5. To any secure setting teachers/settings with roll-on roll-off students, which providers do you use for functional skills?

Thanks