1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone knowledgeable about Greek Island holidays please?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by caterpillartobutterfly, Feb 19, 2020.

1. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I have never been on any kind of hot, sun, beach type holiday, but OH has convinced me I'd like it. (Can't see what's suddenly wrong with my beloved Scotland, but occasionally one needs to make sacrifices...!)

So we've narrowed it down to one of three Greek Islands, but which to choose and where to stay????
    If anyone knows anything it will be more than me. (And more than him, but he won't admit that!)

Astypalea: Possibly my first choice, but I'd like a hotel pool to lie beside in the very hottest part of the day.
    Folegandros: But can't pronounce it, so not sure
    Amoros: Seems to have lots of nice pool hotels, but is it too touristy?

We are both utterly antisocial, do not want children all over the place, and a vaguely authentic experience.

Any ideas very, very welcome.
    Thank you.

2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The only advice I can offer, is that my first visit to a hot land came in the mid 80s. My sweetheart had been to Greece and had loved it, so she enticed me to have a holiday there. We went to Zakinthos (Zante). At that time, tourism in the island was in its infancy and we had a wonderful holiday living in accomodation with basic facilities, but among warm, welcoming people.

When we described what our holiday had been like to our neighbours, they decided to go to the same place for their honeymoon, but on their return, they said it was nice, but not as we'd described. Knowing that what everyone expects will be different, we booked a holiday to the same place ourselves a year later and discovered it had entirely changed.

The village we had stayed in was about ten miles down the road from the main town and nothing in between. Within a year, it had all been built up, so you'd have had your work cut out to recognise where the boundaries of our village was.

It's an issue everywhere where money can be made from tourism. As a young adult I found Devon and Cornwall quite magical. Having later discovered I can't get to Lands End or Clovelly without paying a fee, those counties are now off my holiday radar.

You get what you get wherever you go and you can't tell from one year to the next what to expect.

3. Kandahar

Kandahar Lead commenter

You'll have to swim there or face flight shaming. Good luck!