1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone know

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emilystrange, Jul 3, 2020.

1. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

How to get rid of the bloody annoying videon in the sidebar? Or at least stop it playing. It's really distracting.

ACOYEAR8 and cissy3 like this.
  2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Good question! As of yesterday, my AdBlocker isn't stopping them from popping up - most annoying.

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

My adblocker prevents it showing. I use Ghostery with Firefox. I can't say if it's effective on other browsers, or if there are better ones, but it seems to work well enough for my needs. Gets rid of youtube adverts as well.

4. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Use the tablet version on an iPad. You never see it.:)

5. emilystrange

aha, I changed a setting on my adblocker and it's gone. most annoying that it stopped working on that. back to peace.

BelleDuJour and mothorchid like this.
  6. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I had that problem a couple of days ago, and did exactly that, @emilystrange.
    The next day, Chrome wouldn't load anything (tried a different browser and it worked, so it obviously a problem with Chrome). Changed the adblock setting back - and everything was fine, including no annoying adverts/videos.
    Weird.

7. emilystrange

:rolleyes: technology

8. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I had some huge update earlier this week and had to reinstall adblockers, so maybe it was that?

9. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I've had a fiddle with my Ad blocker settings and it's back to normal - thank goodness!

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Just ignore them - I do

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Not having much luck with 'Block Element' in Adblocker Plus on Firefox.

The video clip panel is displaying an X with a swirly whirly thing and the message "server or network failed because the format is not supported" so at least I'm not seeing the soundless video clip, but it would be nice to get rid of it.

Any suggestions?

12. emilystrange

I changed it in the bit about acceptable ads

magic surf bus likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

Sorted - thank you.

emilystrange likes this.
  14. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

Please help a useless IT person - how do I change my adblock settings?

15. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I'm useless too, but I've somehow managed to get rid. (It was really starting to pee me off!)

I pressed on the adblock plus symbol (top right in my case) and it opens a little panel.

At the top right of the panel is a small grey wheely shape. Click on that and a new window opens for ''settings''

I already wasn't ''allowing acceptable ads'', but I ticked the boxes as labelled:

PRIVACY & SECURITY
    • Block additional tracking

• Block social media icons tracking ................................and that seems to have done the trick, fingers crossed!

jellycowfish likes this.
  16. jellycowfish

Thank you! I’ll give it a try

cissy3 likes this.
  17. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

I used to use Adblock Plus and found it to be very good for a while, then something happened to make me decide to change it. I can't remember exactly what it was now, but if I had to hazard a guess, it would likely have been pop ups appearing to urge me to upgrade to the full version, like they do with some free antivirus software.

For what it's worth, although I have in the past suffered an infection with a computer virus, despite suposedly being protected by antivirus software, it was easy enough to remove with Malwarebytes, which has also enabled me to sort out other people's computers.

If this is the last bit of wisdom I write before I die, I want you all to know that the only thing you need to know when you're faced with a computer threat or a scam, is not to panic, but to try to think logically.

My work mobile rang today, coming up with "Private Number." It occasionally does that for calls from the out of hours service, so I answered it. I got a message saying "Your Internet service has been blocked due to illegal activity, Press 1 for more information."

I thought to myself, who outside the organisation would have my work mobile number, since it isn't something I advertise. I also thought simultaneously, that if my Internet service had been blocked, it would be a matter for the IT people to sort out and a failure on their part for allowing illegal activity to take place, if of course, it was ever likely to have occurred.

Nevertheless I pressed the button to see what would happen next and was rewarded with a Yankee voice telling me I would be put through to a security expert who immediately connected me to an opperative who spoke pigeon English and implored me that I needed to listen to what he had to say.

I told him to sod off and hung up. Just think it through.

18. jellycowfish

That worked! Thank you :)

cissy3 likes this.
  19. magic surf bus

In Firefox they offer enhanced privacy functions anyway, including Privacy Badger and Faecebook Container, which mops up any Faecebook droppings. On this page alone I have 3 pieces of Badger food, 5 ads, and 1 lump of Faecebook poo all being blocked, and I don't even use Faecebook. Images imported to this site from social media have tracking cookies added to them, which is why Firefox blocks them and I only see IMG displayed in their place. I can right-click the text and select 'View Image' if I wish.

Chrome is a ruddy nightmare privacy and ad wise. At regular intervals they re-set your privacy settings to the default (ie allow everything) then invite you to "Review your privacy settings" which gives you the false impression that they're as you left them. What you're actually doing is reviewing their privacy settings. This is a faff involving mutiple page options and selecting tick boxes yet again. Google are seriously keen to intrude on you and track you, and they own YouTube too. I find it best to browse logged out of a Google account, whatever browser I'm using.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  20. wayside34

wayside34 New commenter

I use to have Ad blocker but as modelmaker does I too use Ghostery in my opinion better with Firefox, plus Facebook container my search engine is duckduckgo for security I use a Fifefox extension HTTPS Everywhere