1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anyone know what's changing in OCR GCSE ICT?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Tosha, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Don't do it unless you work in a very high achieving school and the head doesn't care about grades.

2. You don't like OCR's GCSE much, do you?

3. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

More a case of liking my job!

4. LinW2010

LinW2010 New commenter

Is it really that bad? What's the alternative? I looked at another board (Edexcel?) but they did a single which was the same as OCR's half and a double that was the same as OCR's full.

5. mattbazza

mattbazza New commenter

We are sticking with the 2010 spec for our current year 9s and going to change after September when the changes have been made to the GCSEs.

I understand these will count towards league tables in 2014, if not the head said he doesn't mind..

6. LinW2010

LinW2010 New commenter

We thought about sticking but I couldn't bear another year of forcing kids through their coursework, only to run the risk that they don't quite complete and so get absolutely nothing. At least with GCSE there's grades all the way down, and you don't have to hit c or bust. And the kids should be a little more challenged as well, and have to admit they're actually learning something instead of regurgitating powerpoint skills they've had since year 7.

7. LinW2010

LinW2010 New commenter

Anyway, to answer my own question, it appears that the scenarios for the practical units are only released the June before the two year window, so year 9s don't get a chance to start on the controlled assessments until September, realistically. We only do one hour a week at the moment, so we're begging for some more time for ICT - very tight to try and do everything in two years. We'll have to cram in a load of theory/background stuff for year 9, so they're hitting the ground running, I guess.

8. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

It's a good course, but not at gcse level. A* -1% a*-G 80%. At training there was not one hod from a comp, all private/grammar.

I work in a grammar and think a* is not possible.

9. Hello Matt

My name is James and I teach at a School in Merseyside. We are phasing out the OCR nationals and introducing the new spec ICT OCR GCSE course from September. After having to completely change our KS3 teaching resources, introduce and plan for a new OCR A Level Computing course and change the A Level OCR ICT spec again I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to find teaching resources for the new ICT OCR GCSE spec? I am willing to trade all of my resources to get these as planning this whole course from scratch will be epic after the huge amount of planning we have had to do over the past years! The A level Computing resources we have our very good and these could be adapted for a GCSE course and our KS3, OCR nationals new spec (Units 1, 4, 7 and 23) and our OCR A Level resources are very good. I am willing to post these to your Schools on a USB as they are large files. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

James