1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone know what these two new rules are?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mystery10, Dec 16, 2011.

1. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Saw this in a link to the Telegraph online this week:
    "Under new rules, all schools are supposed to ensure at least 60 per cent of
    11-year-olds reach the standard expected for their age group in both core
    subjects.

They are also expected to satisfy new "pupil progress" measures
    charting children's rate of improvement between the age of seven and 11
    ."

Anyone know what either of these two things are referring to?
    Thanks

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Well the first one sounds like it will be based on "SATs"/national curriculum test results at the end of year 6. I'm sure a requirement like this has existed for years, but I thought the requirement was higher than 60%....more like 70%? Could be wrong though.
    The second one is the "value added" score I think, basically it means if kids enter Y3 at a good level, they aren't allowed to just cruise through junior school and have to do even better in Y6. I think this score has also been used for a little while too?
    I'm no expert, I'm sure someone else will know far more :)

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The rules mean our school is f****ed and will probably become an academy. We got 55% L4.

4. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

So who applies the rules and why is becoming an academy a punishment or solution? Does it involve getting new leadership - gov body and / or SMT?
    And what's new about the progress rule - I think it's about children with a 2 at KS1 have to become a 4 at KS2, and a 1 should become a 3. Is that new? And what is the "sanction" if some children don't?

5. Google Floor Standards and open the top link to DfE. The whole sordid plan will become clear to you.

6. Dfe use floor targets you need children in ks2 to make 2 levels progress and to get at least 60% at level 4% in both english and maths, if you dont you are vulnerable as said to becoming an academy which will make it all brillant [​IMG]

7. If academies take on primarily schools with lower results, the word "Academy", over time,will no longer stand for excellence, but for lower standards. Getting high achievement against all the odds will take more than a name change. If they are poor places to work in, that will feed back over time, and lower standards.