1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone know minimum placement days needed to complete a PGCE?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by pillybob, Jan 12, 2012.

1. I'm currently on a PGCE primary. My training provider have messed up and not found me a school for one of my placements (was meant to start this week). They are trying find me one but every day that goes by is worrying me as I believe there are a minimum number of days student teachers need to complete in order to qualify. I was told this is a TDA requirement but can't find any info on this on their website.

So, does anyone know if this is the case and if so what the minimum requirement of days in school are for a primary PGCE?

2. I'm currently on a PGCE primary. My training provider have messed up and not found me a school for one of my placements (was meant to start this week). They are trying find me one but every day that goes by is worrying me as I believe there are a minimum number of days student teachers need to complete in order to qualify. I was told this is a TDA requirement but can't find any info on this on their website.

So, does anyone know if this is the case and if so what the minimum requirement of days in school are for a primary PGCE?

3. I am sure it is around 90 days give or take for the PGCE route, but slightly more if you were on the undergraduate route of ITT. Hope that helps!

4. bex900

bex900 New commenter

Yes, I believe it is 90. [​IMG]

5. watermelon3

watermelon3 New commenter

This might seem silly, but I dont see how my course will give me 90 days in school- does that inc half term?

6. My course is 24 weeks in school (once school holidays have been taken out) which works out as 120 days, but I remember them saying that ours was above the necessary amount. 90 days (18 weeks) sounds about right.

7. For a secondary PGCE you must spend a minimum of 120 days in school, for a primary PGCE it is 90 days.
    James

8. Hey James. Can I ask why there is that difference?

Ta