1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone know how to get rid of chest infection without anti-biotics?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by maxmax, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Started with what felt like chest infection last Fri. Had Monday off school then went back Tues. Have really struggled all week til i got sent home again this pm. Feel very pathetic. Feels similar to when I had bronchiolitis years ago. Is it possible to sort this without anti-biotics / inhalers? All suggestions welcome. Ta.

2. Started with what felt like chest infection last Fri. Had Monday off school then went back Tues. Have really struggled all week til i got sent home again this pm. Feel very pathetic. Feels similar to when I had bronchiolitis years ago. Is it possible to sort this without anti-biotics / inhalers? All suggestions welcome. Ta.

3. Antibiotics will prbably be th best way to get rid, but if you have a cough, pholcadine medicine is good and to relieve the stuffiness, eucalyptus everywhere, pillows, bath, in a bowl of hot water for you to breathe in.

4. If you have a robust immune system, your body will deal with an infection eventually. AB's will get rid of it far sooner, reducing the long-term damage that an infection can cause - scarring etc.

Why are you so anti anti-biotics?

5. Thanks for replies so far. My immune system isn't bad I think - haven't been ill in AGES - 2 days off sick in 3 years. Not anti antis as such but can't get to my doc's til Monday (moved house and not changed doc's yet). I could possibly go to a walk-in in morning which I might do as I feel bloody awful and head ringing every time I cough. Getting worse not better which I guess after a week is not good.

6. Try phoning NHS direct for advice.

There maybe a "walk-in" GP clinic somewhere at the weekend.

My local hospital runs one so you could phone up your local hosp and ask how you can see a GP at the weekend.

7. I had a chest infection a few weeks ago and had hot water with a spoonful of honey and some lemon juice. Had it once a day for 5 days and it worked a treat.

8. I had a bout of acute bronchitis a couple of years ago and bravely struggled without AB's for about a week and ended up very poorly (OH had to drive me to hospital in a blizzard late one SAturday night as there was no Dr to come out). I was off work for about three weeks and got a secondary sinus infection. Sometimes you do need the drugs!

9. Yeah, bronchitis is the same as pneumonia just a different area. Take the drugs. Last time I had it I tore the muscles in my chest wall, it took months to heal. It can reoccur too.

10. You are all lovely! Thank you for bothering to post replies. Can't be certain it's a chest infection but feels very similar to last one as I said. Will try to get to walk-in centre tomorrow and see what they say. In the meantime I'm on berocca and red bull with the occasional Fab ice lolly for my throat.

11. If it's caused by a virus, antibiotics will be no use anyway.

12. your gp must be part of an out of hours service over the weekend - ring the surgery number and see what the answering maching says. or nhs direct may put you onto it.
    It may have started as viral but if still getting worse you could now have a bacterial infection on top of it.

13. take ibuprofen for the chest pain if your coughing, me personally i feel like i'm dying when i ahve a chest infection, couldnt live without Ab's