1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone know any tips/rhymes to help children who mix the letters b and d when writing?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by inky, Apr 26, 2008.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

The word bed comes to mind but I'm not sure how best to use it.

2. Two we use are "start with a 'c' and make a 'd'" and also bat and ball (is that jolly phonics?) where they write the bat and then the ball to make a 'b'. I use the word bed, where they make a fist and stick up their thumbs and press their hands together facing them, to make a bed shape and say b-e-d. All of these work for some and none work for others until they see enough b's and d's in words for it to click. One of mine informed me yesterday that it was funny how a '9' is just the same as a 'p', so guess who is revising number formation next week?

3. Links dont appear to be working at the moment. If you email me I have a couple of posters that I made with my daughter's hands that might help.

snow_203@hotmail.com

4. Hi,
    I get the children to make the word bed using their hands. Unlike the other teacher they don't make fists but using their thumbs and pointer fingers they make circles, stick up their other fingers and face the two circles together. the circles form the bed and the upright fingers the head and foot boards. You need to do it first to show them. They can then write the word bed on paper and put "e" in the middle for the filling. Hope you can make sense of this.

5. stresagirl

stresagirl New commenter

Thank you. Any for number formation?

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We say the rhyme
    To make a bed for baby
    first you need a /b/ (make a fist with left handthumb sticking up)
    /e/ comes in the middle
    finish with a /d/ (make a fist with right hand thumb sticking up)

0 - Around to my left to find my hero, back to the top, I've made a zero
    1 - Start at the top and down we run, that's the way we make a 1.
    2 - Half a heart says, "I love you." A line. Now I've made the number two.
    3 - Around the tree, Around the tree, Now I've made the number three
    4 - Down and across and down once more. Now I've made the number four
    5- Down and around and a flag on high, that's the way we make a 5.
    6 - Bend down low to pick up sticks. Now I've made the number six.
    7- Across the sky and down from heaven, that's the way we make a 7.
    8- Make an S and do not wait, when we get home we have an eight.
    9- Make a loop and then a line, that's the way we make a 9.

7. Rendellers

Rendellers New commenter

I have a 'bed' poster if its any help Can't add it to resources as i can't remember where I down loaded if from - leave your email if you would like it. I've noticed my chn who know they get them confused do look at it

8. stresagirl

stresagirl New commenter

9. Link the letters to their 'spoken' form. To say 'b' you start with mouth closed (straight line) and then open (round), so you write 'b' with 'straight line first, then the round'. When you 'read' it, the straight line first tells you to start the sound with mouth closed. 'd' is the other way round - open mouth first (round)so you start writing it with the 'round' bit, then comes the straight line. Same for 'reading' it; open mouth first.

Easier to do than to explain, but it does work!

Also, always get the child to say the sound as they write it, to strengthen kinaesthetic memory.

10. For the numbers I use Ten Town with Reception. It's great- each Number is a character with a little story, there is a formation rhyme for each number and an action to do. It's basically Jolly Phonics for numbers! I've been using it for 4 years now and it has solved all formation/orientation mix ups.

11. Ten town sounds fab....where can I find out more??

12. This postis three year's old!