1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone know a good plumber in the Sheffield area?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moonpenny, Feb 8, 2012.

1. moonpenny

moonpenny Occasional commenter

For my mum. (well, not my mum but my mum's bathroom)
    She has had the same bathroom suite for the last 40 odd years and she is going to treat herself to a new one - toilet,sink and shower but no bath as she has problems climbing into a bath because of her dodgy hip.
    It is a tiny bathroom.
    The cost for the suite plus taps etc is £900 (from B and Q) and she had someone come round from B and Q and they were going to charge her £4000 odd to fit it.
    She also wants the bathroom around the shower tiling ( a very small area) and the floor is tiny (no room to swing the cat even) so we could probably do that ourselves?
    Thanks.

2. moonpenny

For my mum. (well, not my mum but my mum's bathroom)
    She has had the same bathroom suite for the last 40 odd years and she is going to treat herself to a new one - toilet,sink and shower but no bath as she has problems climbing into a bath because of her dodgy hip.
    It is a tiny bathroom.
    The cost for the suite plus taps etc is £900 (from B and Q) and she had someone come round from B and Q and they were going to charge her £4000 odd to fit it.
    She also wants the bathroom around the shower tiling ( a very small area) and the floor is tiny (no room to swing the cat even) so we could probably do that ourselves?
    Thanks.

3. Not since Joe Cocker left.

4. moonpenny

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

possibly
    which side of Sheffield?

6. moonpenny

Hi Lurk,
    She lives in Southey Green (north of the Wednesday ground)
    Ideally we want someone who could pick up the suite for us from B and Q,fit it and do the tiling.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

shame i don t live near sheffield....i have no where to stay.......i can do it for less than that even with lodgings i think...and the tiling.....i have van can travel lol

8. Go into the CIPHE website (www.ciphe.org.uk) & you can put your postcode into their 'find a plumber' section

9. lurk_much

I will ask my chum if he goes that far north.
    he lives to the south west

10. moonpenny

Oldie: weren't you once a star on "cowboy builders"?
    Just kidding - shame you don't live closer.

11. moonpenny

Cheers

12. moonpenny

Thanks.I am going up there on Monday to help sort some stuff out and spend a few days with her.
    It is only about 4 miles out of the town centre. I appreciate your hlep.

13. lurk_much

He is normally booked up for a while (month+)
    as long as it isn't urgent
    I will email him

14. moonpenny

15. moonpenny

Thanks for your help,Snowstorm

16. I've begun to wonder just how some trades come up with their prices. Since he who fixes stuff arrived on the scene I've had:
    • the gas fire fixed even though I was told was obselete and would need replaced. Cost? £3.95 + postage for the thermal couple it needed.
    • the gas shower in the bathroom replaced after being told about 5 years ago that it would cost upwards of £300 to do so. Cost? £90 which included the cost of bits and pieces as well as the cost of the shower + postage.
    • the oven replaced after being told it would cost £280 for oven and fitting. Cost? £125 including delivery.
    I could go on...I had a LOT of stuff needing fixed or replaced and I'm astounded at how much I'd have spent had I been able to afford to go with the companies which gave me quotes that I couldn't afford.
    Most decent companies could fit a small bathroom out in a maximum of 2 days. If the fittings cost less than a thousand pounds it seems that over £3k to fit it is very steep!

17. moonpenny

Thanks Seren,I agree it seems very expensive.
    I suggested B and Q as I thought it would take the stress of her sorting stuff out but we didn't think it would be that much.
    The trouble with me being so far away is that it makes it hard for me to help her sort stuff out so that's why I want to try and organise something next week,although there isn't a huge rush for the work to be done. We don't mind paying a fair price for a good plumber.
    It is just that there are quite a few things that still need to be sorted out since my dad died and even though there is no rush to sort everything out and I don't want her to feel rushed, I think it would take some of the worry off her if at least one of two more things get sorted out.
    The trouble is they have lived off a minimum budget for so many years as my dad took redundancy from BT that everything is now falling apart at the same time.
    So any suggestions for:
    a good place to get a washer dryer which can be plumber in and the old one disposed of
    someone who can help her do the guttering as it is full of leaves and water pours down when it rains
    a new fridge freezer
    the best way to move a load of junk from the garage/under the house/loft
    Over Christmas I contacted a homeless charity and they came and took quite a lot of stuff as my brother has moved in with her and we needed to clear one of the bedrooms for his stuff and his 2 dogs
    I suppose it will all get sorted out eventually
    Maybe I should employ Oldsomeman for a couple of weeks as she needs most of the interior walls repainting as nothing much has been done to the house for a few years. There is also the garden which really needs a bit of sorting out as dad used to buy loads of large cheap plastic plant containers and they are all over the place,zillions of them and they all need sorting out/chucking out and mum isn't able to do any gardening at all these days because of her arthritis.

18. oldsomeman

no dear that was the rhinestone cowboy i was in lol
    Well as to distance i have worked away from home..once spent 3 weeks working in a house in hull which is further than sheffield!. so yes i can do it as long as i can price reasonable B &B in there...
    I see however you have help but if you need help then please PM message me and ill be able to sort out a price.......and i do have a van so yes i can ppick up the stuff as its a big van.Wont be the first person on her i have worked for lol
    Lets know if you stil want help

19. oldsomeman

Just seen your last post
    I am a builder and landscaper gardener so what you required could be undertaken........usually if you leave a old washing machine outside then it wil soon disappear.......B&Q where doing a good deal on them recently.....fridge /freezer council will take ot leave it outside and it to wil vanish
    All the other work mentioned i do including replacing gutters and gardens........usually when older the easiet is to turn it to lawn and then get local man to cut it on a regular basis..plus mum has contact with another and he keeps an eye on her.

20. moonpenny

Thanks,Oldie
    I think the first 2 jobs are the bathroom suite putting in and the guttering doing.
    Petrol might cost quite a bit as it costs me about 50 to 60 quid everytime I go up.
    How much would you charge to pick up suite she has picked out at B and Q,get rid of old one,put in new suite in (toilet,shower,sink ) do some tiling and put down some flooring (it is a really small room)
    ,,,,,and do the guttering
    I am sure she would put you up for the night :) In my old box room (Ahhhhh) (not with me still in it,I hasten to add)
    PS You are not setting me up for an episode of cowboy builders are you?