1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone know a good firction book on Egyptians/mummies etc?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ucan2, Aug 27, 2009.

1. So I can link my topic to historical stories (Y3/4). There must be some really exciting tomb raiders or mummy stories out there? I have looked on Amazon but it is hard to tell age book is intended for.
    Any help appreciated.

2. Hi
    We did the Egyptians last year my class are the same age as yours and
    we used
    History News: The Egyptian News: The Greatest Newspaper in Civilization
    and the children also loved the Horrible History book on Egyptians - this has some interesting stories in it.
    Good luck in your search

3. Julia Jarman's Time Travelling cat series has one about an Egyptian Goddess and Terry Deary's Egyptian tales are good for KS2. Could you also use clips from 'The Mummy' film?

4. I've used 'There's a Pharaoh in my Bath' by Jeremy Strong- really funny & easy for yr3 to read

5. Im using There's a Pharaoh in my Bath with my class later this year. Durham has a unit linked to it but Im not sure if it is available to others

6. Thanks for your ideas. I had found the websites but thought I would save those stories for the Myths and Legends Unit. I have ordered The Mummy dvd - thought it would be good for scene writing but will have to be careful as I'm sure it isn't a U certificate. I like the sound of the Pharoah in the bath. I have looked on the Coxhoe-Durham site but couldn't find anything. If you happen to find it perhaps you could post the link - thanks Gillybop.

7. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

http://www.ers.cqm.co.uk/revents/fiction.htm#EGYPTIANS

8. What about The Cat Mummy? I think it is by Terry Deary.

9. hello,
    i am starting egypt as my topic in september with a mixed year 3/4 class and have got all the history sorted but thought i would include literacy in the topic. I have purchased 'there's a pharaoh in our bath' and 'lets do the pharaoh' by Jeremy Strong but am struggling for ideas, saw your post on here and wondered if you had any ideas for the books or any planning which you have used? hope you can help many thanks

10. I was going to start the first 2 weeks on stories with a familiar setting - Narrrative Unit 1 Y3 (using ideas from Lit framework planning/Hamilton Trust etc) to work on settings, characters, story mountains etc. Haven't got Pharoah in the bath yet but it seems to be set in a familiar setting to start with anyway. During those 2 weeks I will have introduced the Egypt topic in history, art/dt ICT etc. I will also read short stories (with fam. settings) as well as the Pharaoh. Then the following 2 weeks I thought I would move on to Stories with a historical setting - Narrative Unit 1 Y4 and contrast the different settings and the vocabulary used. I intend to read other Egyptian stories that I find and show scenes from the mummy dvd to discuss setting. This sounds really confusing but its ok when it is mapped out in my plan. I have some very able Y3 and Y4 writers (aswell as some quite poor ones) so need to stretch them. I haven't combined units like this before so it is a bit of an experiment. I can let you have my plan when I have finished but need to get into school to look for texts first so it won't finished until the end of the week. I might also try mantle of the expert - we are archeologists should we open the tomb......? etc but again this is something new to me. I think it will be an exciting topic - there is so much you can do with it. There are lots of Egyptian myths/legends so I will do that unit later in the term with some non-fiction Egyptian stuff inbetween. All I need now is Egyptian poetry lol!

11. When I was in Yr 4 I used 'The Scarab's Secret'. It is a lovely picture book and I got loads of work out of it - the kids loved it- amazon have it.

12. hello, this sounds really good, lots of great ideas, i would love to see the finished plans when you have completed them. please could you e-mail them to me my address is zoe_lawton@yahoo.co.uk. thanks.

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Deffo recommend 'The Scarab's Secret' - it is just right for Year 3/4. Time Travelling Cat is a bit too wordy for them.

14. The Cat Mummy by Jacqueline Wilson is loosely connected to the topic and although it really about bereavement my class really enjoyed it.

15. Hello,
    Am halfway through my second run of this topic so may be able to share a little wisdom!
    Firstly, the Mummy dvd is pretty difficult to use. It is a 12 certificate and there is something unsuitable in nearly every scene! Mainly because the Princess is naked most of the time - saved only by body paint and a few jewels! Know I wouldn't get away with that with my year 4's! In terms of dvd resources, I have used the Prince of Egypt and am currently using a new Scooby Doo one - The Mummy Mystery I think. Even though it's Scoob, the boys in my class love it and it helps that McDonalds Happy Meals are currently doing this film as it's toy. They keep bringing them into to show me! (Though what that says about what their parents feed them I don't know...some of them have tonnes!)
    In terms of books, I've used some of the Terry Dearry ones - The Gold in the Grave is my favourite. He writes the Horrible Histories so are fairly accurate and fairly gruesome too!
    I'd also second - or third - The Scarab's Secret! I love this book. If you PM me with an email address, I can send you a unit plan on it. I also have a unit plan on another book called The Egyptian Cinderella - which is an Egyptian version of the Cinderella story. I'm happy to share these resources if they are any good to you.

16. A nice quick read from Red Banana Books is The Mummy Family Find Fame. Wouldnt plan activities around it - but its a fun read at the end of a day.

17. Hey gnomes, could I please have a copy of the unit plans on The Scarab's Secret and The Egyptian Princess please.
    cheeky.morris1@virgin.net

18. Hi Gnomes
    Sorry to jump on the bandwagon but could you please email me a copy of the planning as well?

rossg002@rbwm.org