1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone involved with running a film club at a primary school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rani1986, May 3, 2011.

1. I am interested in setting up a film club at my son's school and wondered if this was something many other primary schools have done? I have contacted someone at Lovefilm and it all looks great, I wondered if there were any catches?!

2. I am interested in setting up a film club at my son's school and wondered if this was something many other primary schools have done? I have contacted someone at Lovefilm and it all looks great, I wondered if there were any catches?!

3. there was a threat fairly recently about film club have a search for it, it sounded great: funded and everything.

4. Hi,
    I'm just posting because this sounds like something I would one day love to do (just currently trying to get first post - so that is first hurdle).
    But I was just wondering what exactly would the film club do. And what did Lovefilm have to say?
    This all sounds interesting rani1986! [​IMG]

5. I did it once, but shhhhh - technically you are not allowed to show lovefilm DVDs in schools, or anything else you've rented. Talk to your bursar/financial person, they will know the legal stuff.

6. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I run ours. It's all free. All you have to do is sign up. The children write reviews on the website. No catches. We had a visit from film club on the road and it was brilliant. They turned the hall into a cinema. Many of my kids have never been to the cinema so it was a real experience for them.

7. karentee

karentee New commenter

We do it, no catch at all!! (promise!) you need to sign up to www.filmclub.org have an induction, they can come to you if you can't get to them and there you go, free films, free resources and a website that has a forum where you can ask for advice from others running a film club.

8. Its great! It is ran by Lovefilm so you can show their films in School.
    No catches!

9. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I started one this year, and it's great. I couldn't make the local induction, so somebody from filmclub came to the school and gave me an individual induction session. They sort out the copyright, so there's no illegalities with showing films.
    You order films from the filmclub website, and then Lovefilm send the films. You can have a wishlist of up to 10 films (I think), and then you get sent films from that list. You can have up to 3 films at a time in school which is really useful - you don't panic that you're going to return a film, and that the new one won't arrive in time.
    You can order membership cards and lanyards from filmclub - the children really enjoy wearing these when they come to film club. You can also order filmclub wristbands - I use these as prizes for my reviewer of the week.
    It's a very easy club to run - you can relax and enjoy the film with the children, or sit at the back and get on with some work while they're watching. No drawbacks at all. I just wish I'd found out about it sooner.

10. MissBoom

MissBoom New commenter

Hello,

I have been running a filmclub for two years now through www.filmclub.org. We have had great success with it!
    • two members are Young Ambassador's and regulary attend cinema premiers, press conferences and interview stars! We have interviewed Gemma Arterton (Tamara Drew/Quantum of Solace) and the cast (voices) of Legends of the Guardians!
    • we have had a cinema set up in our hall - complete with huge screen/popcorn/surround sound etc...
    • we run weekly afterschool FILMCLUB sessions
    • I attended a huge TES conference at Bafta, London as well as Star Club events
    • FILMCLUB funded a pro popcorn machine for our club - it's wicked!
    We are a Star FILMCLUB too!
    If you have any questions, message me :D

11. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

We belong to the same filmclub as most posting on here.....it's great! We shows films every fortnight,about a hundred attend , the children write reviews online, we're a Star club etc etc...... no catches at all....go for it!

12. Thank you so much for your replies! I'm definitely going to go for it! It's really interesting to read your experiences of running film clubs, it might not work for us but I'm going to give it a go (hopefully h/t will approve of the idea!) I have looked on the website but couldn't find a forum, do you have to be a member to have access to it?

13. Hello, I'm very excited by this site. You've all said it's free but having joined and looking around the site it seems to imply we have to buy a license at over a £100. Is that right? If so there is no way we can do it. There are no funds to pay for this at our school and we are only a little village school so will only have up to twenty children viewing. Has anyone any experience of this? Advice gratefully received.

14. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

I ran a film club last year and yes, you do need a 'performance licence' for it. Even for 20 children as you are viewing it in public. Our school always had one anyway, I'm surprised you haven't - what do you do about playing copyrighted music in school plays etc? The club was a real boon with my children though and well worth the money for the licence and the snacks I bought for them!

15. My school actually used film club to raise money as they ran a tuck shop for the children at film club. The money went to the PTA and was used to buy new playground equipment!