1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone here with polycystic ovaries- pregnant or not- please help!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by kittenmittens, May 12, 2012.

1. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Background- I have polycystic ovaries but not the PCOS syndrome (presence of 30 + cysts on each ovary when diagnosed). I conceived my daugther, now 17 months, naturally but was about to start clomid as prospects for successful ttc looked very doubtful as OH had low count.
    I had the contraceptive implant removed 4 weeks ago with a view to TTC # 2. Dtd once with no protection 4 days after removal. Then panicked that now was not the right time to TTC (OH also was dithering so we thought it best to wait) and went on the pill as I was worried the cysts would grow back and scupper our chances when we do decide it is the right time to TTC- thinking in 6 months time probably, to try naturally for a few months then maybe try clomid if GP/ fertility clinic will let us.
    I had some ov signs a few days after dtd and since then have been feeling very, very sick just like morning sickness, I did experience this in my first pregnancy. I have also had a very strong metallic taste which I didn;t have in pregnancy but did have when I came off the pill to TTC #1. Also general moodiness, crampiness, sore breasts etc.
    POAS says not pregnant. I feel horrendously unwell and can't concentrate on work or looking after my daughter. Is this due to changing contraception? Is it possible to be pregnant and still have a BFN even though you feel so sick, I thought the nausea was caused by HcG? Confused- can anyone help?

2. kittenmittens

Background- I have polycystic ovaries but not the PCOS syndrome (presence of 30 + cysts on each ovary when diagnosed). I conceived my daugther, now 17 months, naturally but was about to start clomid as prospects for successful ttc looked very doubtful as OH had low count.
    I had the contraceptive implant removed 4 weeks ago with a view to TTC # 2. Dtd once with no protection 4 days after removal. Then panicked that now was not the right time to TTC (OH also was dithering so we thought it best to wait) and went on the pill as I was worried the cysts would grow back and scupper our chances when we do decide it is the right time to TTC- thinking in 6 months time probably, to try naturally for a few months then maybe try clomid if GP/ fertility clinic will let us.
    I had some ov signs a few days after dtd and since then have been feeling very, very sick just like morning sickness, I did experience this in my first pregnancy. I have also had a very strong metallic taste which I didn;t have in pregnancy but did have when I came off the pill to TTC #1. Also general moodiness, crampiness, sore breasts etc.
    POAS says not pregnant. I feel horrendously unwell and can't concentrate on work or looking after my daughter. Is this due to changing contraception? Is it possible to be pregnant and still have a BFN even though you feel so sick, I thought the nausea was caused by HcG? Confused- can anyone help?

3. I have no idea about polycytic ovaries but can answer this question:
    Yes. I am 16 weeks pregnant and got BFN for 10 days after my missed period. Assumed it was late ovulation - dating scans (I had 2 due to mc at 17 weeks previously) however say that I did not ovulate late, just for some reason pregnancy tests weren't detecting HcG. I used Tescos own and another brand (can't remeber which one, American brand from Wilkinsons). I had strong pg symptoms so was very suprised with all the BFNs.

4. kittenmittens

Main questions-
    1. Has anyone with PCO/ PCOS experienced metallic taste and/or nausea without being pregnant?
    2. Has anyone had a BFN with nausea that has later become a BFP?
    I would be very happy with a BFP but don't feel desperate for one as job situation, impending house move, OH's nonchalance would mean it may be better not to be pg at the moment. GP appontment is booked for 2 weeks' time, I could get one earlier but it wouldn't be with the GP I know has experience of contraception/ PCOS. The other docs there know very little about these topics, I had loads of appointments ttc first time round.

5. kittenmittens

Thanks so much for the reply biodust! Congratulations on your pregnancy :) I have been using Tescos pg tests as I got my BFP on one last time so have a certain fondness for them haha. It would surprise me very much to be pg after one time dtd after all the probs we have had, but I suppose it is possible especially as the implant is well known for clearing up the cysts and my first pregnancy would have done this as well.
    The nausea is so much like morning sickness I have experiened- comes in waves, worse with empty stomach, worse after rich food/ coffee. I'm wondering if there's some other hormonal quirk of PCO that may be causing it. Last BFN was this afternoon so is it better to use my past test to POAS tomorrow morning or leave it a few more days?

6. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

I don't know about the difference with polycystic, but when I finally got my BFP it wa 2 weeks after my AF was due, and I was nauseous every evening for about 10days beforehand. in terms of morning sickness, I was largely nauseous in the evening. As the pregnancy progressed, it spread through the day before receeding back to evening only, then stopping at around 14 weeks. So - in terms of morning sickness - what I had before getting my BFP, was pretty much how my morning sickness was throughout. I used all kinds of different tests before finally getting a BFP on tesco's own, though it was incredibly faint. I tried to test every other day rather than every day, but ended up cracking quite a few times! FMU is best for strength of HCG in urine as less dilute.

7. kittenmittens

Chocolateheaven thatnk you for your reply. Just looked again at dates and we dtd 3 weeks ago and I don't know if/when I ovulated... there were some signs a few days after dtd but I don't know. You ahve answered my question that it is possible to have BFN with nausea and then go on to have a BFP later, it's just wait and see time now. Men have it so easy!

8. Kittens as I understand it some people metabolise HCG differently and have a lot less in their urine. I have a friend who did not get a BFP until 6 weeks - however assuming that this was not the case in your first pregnancy it is surely unlikely to be now? There are some gross tummy bugs around, its more likely that you've got one and it hasnt come out properly, causing you to feel nauseous. I had one about 18 months ago that was identical to morning sickness.

9. FWIW I think you're pregnant dude. And I think this is a good thing - I know your oh wanted to wait but as you say, lots of complications - inhope you've been blessed twice.

10. kittenmittens

Yes it would be a wonderful thing! Mixed feelings when I tested earlier but mostly searching for a line- after all the tests I've taken in the past it would be madness to want a BFN now! Brettgirl I think you are right that the hormone can be present in different concentrations. Last time I got my BFP with no idea when I ovulated so didn't know how many days dpo it was. I didn't feel sick until about a week after that, I think, definitely not at the time. But, pregnancies can be different. With the metallic taste as well I don't think it's a sickness bug, the only other explanation is a weird concoction of hormones going on due to chopping and changing contraception and the PCO.

11. Can't help with the PCOS - but I must have bought out pregnancy tests in my first pregnancy - got to the point that I stopped testing for a month because I got fed up of the BFN's all of the time - but all of these symptoms that linked to pregnancy - I was 8 weeks (I think) when I finally got a BFP. Was actually pregnant all of the time I had been testing with the BFN's - no idea how.
    Hope you get what you want
    x

12. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

I guess there's no real way to know - it is possible that you're pregnant and it's not showing. It's also possible it's a stomach bug as someone else said. So frustrating, not knowing.For me, HCG obviously took ages to show in my urine. I used ov sticks without ever getting a +, but fell pregnant. Obviously, something happens to me that means these things don't work. Really feel for you though - the not knowing must be driving you crazy.

13. kittenmittens

It's very strange. The pregnancy would be very much wanted and it would be great not to have to ttc ever again- what a stressful experience that was first time round! The worry of 'will I ever have another child' is probably a bit over-dramatic but I do feel it sometimes. Superficially though, I would also quite like to not feel sick anymore haha. Plan is to work on a week by week basis as in, if still feeling sick next weekend, do another test then. In the meantime, try to keep busy with toddler and work, stay off the vino, keep taking folic acid and not think about it too much. Impossible really. Thank you all so much for your help xx

14. Hi kittens! Remember me! Could you ask GP for a hcg beta blood test? (I'm in IVF 2 week wait - it's awful!!)

15. kittenmittens

Mariposa I can't even begin to imagine what an IVF 2ww is like- thought this was frustrating but it must be a while different ball game. Massive good luck wishes to you. BFN this morning with v concentrated FMU, no more tests til next weekend for me!

16. kittens mate, I've got to agree with Astra. I reckon you're pregnant too. I hope you find out soon though, with BFP or AF as I know I've had times when AF hasn't turned up but neither has BFP. One time, it was a BFP (which didn't end well) and another time AF turned up eventually.

Mariposa good luck with your 2WW. I really hope it's good news for both of you ladies.

17. kittenmittens

Thanks Lily. Today's development is raging heartburn- I felt a bit sheepish asking for a pint of milk at the soft play centre today, the waitress said 'do you mean half pint' looking at LO and I said no it's for me! Strange times. We will see what happens.