1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone here use Twitter?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Chikin79, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Chikin79

Chikin79 New commenter

Just a bit of a thought does anyone here use Twitter would be nice to have like an online community for ICT where people can post resources, interesting things well just about anything really to each and one another

Thought it would be nice so add yours in a reply

My Twitter is @seymorejustice

Cheers

Craig

2. Chikin79

Chikin79 New commenter

Just a bit of a thought does anyone here use Twitter would be nice to have like an online community for ICT where people can post resources, interesting things well just about anything really to each and one another

Thought it would be nice so add yours in a reply

My Twitter is @seymorejustice

Cheers

Craig

3. @WotTypeOfNobThinksTwitterIsUsefullForAnythingOtherThanWastingTime
    Oops, sorry. too many characters.

4. Chikin79

Chikin79 New commenter

Im not a big twitter fan but thought it might be good for resources to share between one another. If it is not for you then dont answer its that simple. i thought we left leaving rude messages to the kids we teach. Speak to them they might be able to help you.

5. I use twitter all the time for sharing good practise/resources as do many teachers. It's not a waste of time at all. Follow me at http://twitter.com/open_minds ( @open_minds)
    Lots of creative types follow the hashtag #creativepartnerships
    It's very useful indeed, especially on the go using your mobile phone.
    Simon

6. @mwclarkson

7. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

...but only because you didn't spell Useful correctly [​IMG]

8. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

As might the resources area on TES website?
    Not may teaching resources have 140 characters [​IMG]

9. I can blame the IPad for that.

Honestly.

10. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

As I have documented quite extensively on here I tried twitter for over a year and there are some useful hashtags that were used in my time that did throw up the odd useful resource #ictteachers IIRC. However it did not throw up anywhere near as much as the resource bank on here, the forum posts or a simple google search could do. I could not see the rewards that you could gain to improve ICT teaching from the time taken to sift through all the posts of people that you follow. Now I have to stress that I only used it to find resources and nothing else, so it was not worth it for that principle, others of course use it for social reasons and that's fine if you enjoy that. But it's not the magic bullet to pool resources that some would want to make it out to be.

11. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I find twitter at best to be a source of the occasional serendipitous gem but, as DJP has suggested, this doesn't make it as useful as known resource banks that many can post into.
    I'm using it to follow people working in the same field as I am on my research project and to that extent some use but generally not as much use as links to their blogs.

12. And you think twitter is useless? [​IMG]

13. Yes.
    Very Clearly.
    And....

14. I use twitter to interact a bit with other teachers but mainly to link to a blog I've started since I began training in September. Twitter is good for sharing ideas and point people to other websites/blogs etc. @icteduk

15. clickschool

clickschool New commenter

I've found it useful for networkinng and finding out about events and resources. There are a lot of useless tweets from time to time. I've post a few messages for my own amusement. I wouldn't miss it.
    If my students subscribed to it, I'd probably do an automated tweet every 5 minutes... "Get off your phone and do some work".... and other comments about not wasting time indulging in pointless activities when wanting to get a qualification.

16. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Oh god, can none of you see the next big 'scary thing' that will arise. There was enough of a 'firestorm' about letting students being friends of facebook. Think what the Daily Mail would say if they know teachers were developing and touting for 'followers' amongst their kids.

17. I tweet all of the time and have recently found lots of people that share their resources and ideas on there.
    I have found it really useful when I have been running low on ideas or I may have wanted to add something.
    @smiles2506 :) embrace the technology :)

18. How can you truly convey the depth and detail required to deal with a complex learning concept with 120 characters? Resources are shared on a whole range of systems including TES and I presume you are not implying that Twitter is in fact hosting these resources? They are supplying you links to these resources which would be housed elsewhere.
    So, I can get this information from Facebook, Twitter, TES, YouTube, Google, talking to someone at a conference or discussing the issues within the working environment.
    Why 'embrace the technology'? All it has done is further fragment the resources being shared whilst not adding anything new of value.
    I am all for new technology but only when it can be shown to have value, to introduce something new or to improve access to existing materials. I have enough to do without reading other people's mindless 'tweets' hoping for something of actual value to appear.

19. Well no-one has ever convinced me that it is of any use whatsoever but here are a few exciting (dripping with sarcasm) statistics:

http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/twitter-stats_b32050

20. You don't - it's just a huge link-fest, for the most part. That said, an extremely useful one - and one where there is more information than any other source I've found for up to date, relevant and useful information found and shared by those in education. You only have to check twitter.com/#edtech or twitter.com/#niedchat for specific regions (northern ireland ed chat) to really see how useful it is!
    Obviously once you've found a good number of people sharing good practice or interesting information you just have to follow them, set up a list, download TweetDeck and the information then comes to you.
    Oh, and there's no having to read through troll replies, flaming and spam, unlike certain forums. Give it a try!