1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone heard of Cath Kidston?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Spanakopita, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

I was killing time in Marylebone High St and went into her shop to see who she was. I was amazed. It was full of bags made of old oil cloth that cost £88 a throw. Everything in the shop was twee ***** at outrageous prices. Who buys this stuff?

2. I had a look when I was pregnant - there's a shop in Edinburgh.
    Some of the stuff is quite nice, but the prices are a total joke. They had key-ring purses for twelve quid, and mugs for the same. Outrageous.

3. Who buys this stuff?

Laura Ashley-like types with lots of money and a taste for the sickly floral. If you're very middle class and a bit religious as well that helps.
    No, not me.

4. It's not my bag either but there is an outlet shop at Bicester.

5. It's for middle aged women whose minds have also grown old.

6. Hurrah! Nutella has blown the whistle on the Emperor's new clothes!
    The CK stuff seems to be everywhere at the moment, and though it is quite pretty in a retro-childish sort of way, there is no way they can justify the hefty price tag IMO. Lots of people do seem to love it though and their houses are full of pastel florals.

7. My daughter nannied in her gap year for a family who had everything possible from this shop - everything. She now HATES it and would never forgive me if I bought anything from there, not that I would at those inflated prices.

It reminds me of trying to buy a family history, a fake one, through retro-stuff.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why does it attract the religious? I should think they'd be ashamed to be pouring money into Cath whatsit's pocket rather than into the church collection plate.

9. I have a CK mug, it cost me £3 and has a brightly coloured cockerel on it. Not twee or Laura Ashley style at all.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Ha, dinx, I saw that and thought of you and I agree it was the only thing in the shop that was OK and not OTT in price though it was £4 and not 3.

11. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

I'm another one who doesn't get the Cath K thing. I had a quick look in the one in Covent Garden last year, did a swift recce and straight out through the door again. I can't see why anyone would buy that stuff.

12. Yeugh, yeugh, yeugh!
    Horrible stuff. Walked into the shop and got an instant migraine. It must be yummy mummy world or something - certainly not a place I would inhabit.

13. And then there is also Jack Wills. Another batch of over priced frayed tat.

14. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I just had to look at their website. Not my thing at all.Instant divorce if MrCatmother ever dared buying me stuff like that!

15. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

In London Japanese tourists seem to love it then again so do I x

16. <h4>I have a polka-dot bag by CK that was a birthday present, I love it but most of the stuff is not my cup of tea. I've seen one or two other things I like though - en masse it's overwhelming but an individual item can work. </h4>

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It needs to to earn its keep!

18. That's what happens to most people (who know me) when they see chickens or cockerels now! I got mine on eBay and paid &pound;3 including postage. It's a blooming enormous mug though and if I had seen it in a shop and realised how big it was, then not even a colourful *** would have tempted me to buy it.

19. Haha Cath Kidston! I really appreciate Cath Kidston as a textiles designer and business woman who has done incredibly well getting people to buy into a whole lifestyle picture. I remember her right back in the early nineties when she started with those great fabric prints - the cowboy and the cactus and the yachts and stuff. Very kitsch. Everything she does is done very well and of course is priced well. This reassures the people buying that they are buying into quality and style. I like her quilts and her tea dresses. She has created a signature which is quite distinctive and highly successful.
    Others like her are Designers Guild, Orla Kiely, Clarissa Hulse - similar formula and similar idea of selling lifestyle and quality. Another whos work Is gorgeous is Neisha Crossland. I Like their work but I'm not in a position to buy it. I envy them all - highly creative and great businesswomen.

20. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

I have a delightful spectacles case of which I am very proud x