1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone heading to Doha, Qatar this year?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by charmw, Feb 26, 2012.

1. charmw

charmw New commenter

Just looking to contact people who are heading out to Qatar in August, I am moving there and would like to make some contacts before I go.

Thanks

2. I have PMed you!

3. aridion

aridion New commenter

I might be going there. However I have to wait for my interview first. Fingers crossed!

4. dash201

dash201 New commenter

The wife and I are as well. And the dog.

5. Hey Charmw, congrats on the job!:D I was teaching in Doha before and may be returning. If you have any questions or want any info I can help with PM me. I had a blast living in Doha, don't let people scare you into thinking otherwise.

6. aridion

aridion New commenter

Is Doha a good place to save cash?

7. Depends what your outgoings are, if you have a morgage, bills and debts you are paying out to every month, then that will obviously make a big difference.
    Other outgoing such as buying/renting a car, if you get your own internet, that will cost a bit, nothing significant.
    Your preferences for alcohol can make or make your savings. Having said that, if you are sensible enough, you can have the best of boths.
    While I was in Doha I went out plenty and saved at least half my salary every month. Also, no one is supposed to (but everyone does) tutoring can do wonders. Once I got steady tutoring work I was often sending my whole salary home.

8. aridion

aridion New commenter

Thanks for the reply Mac. So, realistically half of a 10,000 Qr salary could be saved with a bit of care. With free accommodation in the bargain, there is a real possibility of saving?

I would definitely be interested in tutoring after school. Would it be tutoring children at the school or tutoring adults?

Thanks in advance.

9. aridion

aridion New commenter

Thanks for the reply Mac. So, realistically half of a 10,000 Qr salary could be saved with a bit of care. With free accommodation in the bargain, there is a real possibility of saving?

I would definitely be interested in tutoring after school. Would it be tutoring children at the school or tutoring adults? Are these 'extra' classes hard to come by?

Thanks in advance.

10. dash201

dash201 New commenter

Also, could I ask how much is being paid an hour for tutoring? May be something I would consider in time. I currently tutor now and really enjoy it.

11. Depends what you are brassy enough to charge, 200QR is typical, some charge more or less. Tutoring is knackering and the last thing you feel like after a day of work, but definitely worth it. It's also a nice chance to get to know a local family.

12. Hello,

I'm heading out in August too. I'll be teaching Reception in a Montessori school. Does anyone know anything about the school? I can't seem to find anything online

13. Sorry Carlycoo I don't know anyone off hand that works there but I will ask around. A lot of my friends are still teachinf in Doha and it's a small world:) Certainly no horror stories come to mind though! And it's not on the ISR site which indicates no one was angry enough to rant out it:)

14. Hi there
    I have a skype interview on Wednesday for an international school in doha. Does anyone know what the average wage would be for someone with 7 years teaching experience? any schools to avoid or go for? Thanks!

15. Hi! I have just accepted a job for a September 2012 start in a school in Doha! Also looking to connect with people as I'm single and will be travelling alone! What school will you be teaching in?

16. charmw

charmw New commenter

I've PMd you

17. Hi :)

I am also going out to Doha in September.
    It all seems very real now,tad nervous but also very excited :)

18. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have sent you a PM, LauraB87.

19. Hi,

I just accepted an offer with QF so will be heading there as well.

20. Hi i am currently thinking of applying to Doha Secondary school. Can you please give me some tips on teaching and living there.Thanks