1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone headed Beijing way this summer?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cityfree, Mar 18, 2011.

1. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Hi to all.

Just wondering if any of you are headding towards Beijing and vicinity this year. I am off on August 12th. Looking forward to it, but would quite like to hear from other people to share tips and ideas.

Happy Friday!

2. I have been in Beijing and am heading home at the end of this academic year. If you want any info let me know. What school are you heading to?

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I think the staring thing is over-stated (or at least partially down to personal sensitivities). I don't really notice it and my wife who is blonde hasn't really complained either. Although when we went to the Great Wall as a school group, we were having fun seeing who would get the most requests to have their picture taken with a Chinese person (I won with 5!). It must have been my bright yellow sleeveless Arsenal shirt.
    Also, I've been here since August and have yet to be pushed. Then again I've only ridden the subway 2 or 3 times. And thankfully the nasty "fog" days have often been broken up by many days this winter of clear, crisp blue (ish) skies. Maybe I'm just a ***-eyed optimist but I really like it here.
    Shunyi is about 30 minutes from Sanlitun (give or take depending on traffic).

4. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Cheers guys (?), I got my full contract through the other day, along with the contact details of the other new staff. I get my 'buddy' next month so I can bug them too. The thing I am strangely excited about: I get an oven in my flat, a washing machine, salary advance and a fridge stocked with the basics when I arrive. Better remind them that I'm veggie...[​IMG]

5. momentofclarity

momentofclarity New commenter

Will be in Beijing from the end of July this summer. Similar position to you, in the process of Visa applications right now. Waiting for our letters from the school to apply for the Z-visa. Have buddy(s), housing is being sorted as I type, looking forward to our orientation week. Very excited, looking forward to a change from the Middle East and have not many people with anything convincing to say that is terrible about China/Beijing - just the standard, pollution, rudeness, traffic etc etc. So just like the Middle East only with culture, lower cost of living and immeasurably better food! Good luck, paths may cross.

6. momentofclarity

*met [many]

7. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

I'm sure they will at some point. Are you in the same school or another one close by? Where abouts in the city will you be living if it is a different school? I'm near the airport.
    I have just packed four boxes of things to take to my sisters and shove in the attic. Ineed to put some books, DVDs, photo albums and some other things to pack.

8. momentofclarity

Not at your school, heading to a Western IB school (insert cryptic notation here). The school puts us up for 2 months, after that we can remain or find our own place with school housing allowance. Having the time to decide is really nice as I don't have to stress over it while getting adjusted to the school, country and culture.

9. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

That is good. We get a year in a school flat (with an oven - very excited about that) and then have to find our own. In the interview, the high up guy (who now manages the various international bases) described it as a 'frat house' so sounds like fun. It is nice going to a school with a good rep, and know that you have certain things set up, like housing, so you don't need to stress.
    I'm flying out August 12th, so counting down the days. I wish I was going at the end of July, I am a little jealous of you now. We can't get there until a few days before the induction week because of visa paperwork. Grrr....

10. cityfree

cityfree New commenter

Well yes, same in any city to be careful...but I guess China has even more issues to think about than most! I shall be careful. I promise.