1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have any great tips for getting class started on task quickly on entry to lesson??

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Jenny257, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Jenny257

Jenny257 New commenter

hi there,

I am looking for ideas that will help me to get my classes started on their starter work quickly with all their equipment out - does anyone have any great tips or ideas??

Thank you

2. chris1729

chris1729 New commenter

Hello, Jenny.

My old head of department, who had cast-iron class management skills, was adamant that you shouldn't really do this. His start to a lesson was: kids come in and move to their places, there's a bit of chat, including him talking to kids - he would probably circulate a bit and take note of the atmosphere of the class - then, after a few minutes, when he judged the moment was right, he'd say, in a relaxed fashion, "Right, time to get started..."

This is probably at odds with what most of us are told to do, and with many school behaviour policies. It may not work for you and you may not wish to try this approach: fair enough. However, there have been times when kids have come into my class all agitated due to an incident, or the weather, and need a few moments to "decompress": I've found that, in such situations, taking a few minutes to circulate and chat - whilst actually very carefully scanning the class to ascertain the mood - can result in going from chaos to quiet in about five minutes, without any antagonism.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Sounds brilliant.

chris1729 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I really like the sound of this too - but think it would only work with a skilled and experienced teacher.

pepper5 and chris1729 like this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Yes, I agree sunshineneeded.

The teacher that used this technique had a good relationship with the class and the class probably understood the boundaries and understood that when it was time to start, they had to follow the instructions of starting and understood it was not a "day's holiday".

It does take experience to get the balance right - too strict and there will be bad feeling amongst the class; too lenient and the class won't like that either since they won't be learning if there is to much disruption.