1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anyone have any experience of finding a second job for the holidays

Discussion in 'Personal' started by marknhopgood, Feb 16, 2012.

1. I'm thinking about doing something part time, weekend or in the holidays to supplement my income.
    As a poor school teacher I need every little bit I can get.

Does anyone have any experience of this. I'm spending the last couple of days of my half term researching ideas and opportunities and I'd be happy to share my research when it is complete.

Have you found part time / temp work or even started a business?

I'd appreciate any ideas / advice as pension not good either.

regards
    Mark

2. I'm thinking about doing something part time, weekend or in the holidays to supplement my income.
    As a poor school teacher I need every little bit I can get.

Does anyone have any experience of this. I'm spending the last couple of days of my half term researching ideas and opportunities and I'd be happy to share my research when it is complete.

Have you found part time / temp work or even started a business?

I'd appreciate any ideas / advice as pension not good either.

regards
    Mark

3. This is often true, as we do not close for "school holidays".
    However, the vetting process is so stringent that you are more likely to need to plan this way in advance as it can take three months (have known occasions of six months but some far less!)
    Most would not be averse to you calling them directly -= some use specific agencies...
    If interested, feel free to PM me and I can advise further....
    But be aware, it is NOT for majority of teachers, BUT it can also be utterly amazing!

4. I used to work as a life guard at a local pool for four weeks of the summer holiday, they always seemed to want more staff in the holidays.

5. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

I used to sign up with an office agency and got temp work that way. There is always tutoring that you could try too.

6. DM

DM New commenter

I spent this week marking A Level exams. Would that be suitable for you?

7. thequillguy

thequillguy New commenter

Marking or tutoring, or selling super fruit mixes seem to be popular.

8. http://www.sevenoaksforum.com/threads/mark-n-hopgood-prepario-mybusinesstv-bunnytick.139/

make your own mind up.

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

You never can be too cynical on the internet. I salute you Bauble.

10. [​IMG]
    Just can't trust anyone here can you?

11. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

How about researching Summer Schools that offer courses to overseas students during the summer breaks? I usually do a few weeks on the Pastoral side working for a children's Theatre company. These jobs are usually residential but you won't be out of pocket as you get all your meals and board thrown in. I know some are sports courses, and you may not be sporty, but some are for pastoral roles.
    A while ago, Thames Valley Schools. com (I think that is the address) were advertising for Pastoral jobs on their courses this summer. It's a nice way of meeting people who are not always teachers and staying in an area you are not familiar with for nothing!

12. I am being thick (no change there) - what is his angle? What is your angle, Marky?