1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone had supply work in the North west of England?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lady123, Sep 3, 2015.

1. lady123

lady123 New commenter

Hello!

I am new to the world of secondary supply and quite relieved to come across these forums.

I have re-located to the north west this summer and have joined two agencies - one is very well known and I have heard nothing from them since registering in July, the other is more local and they have kept in touch via e-mail and offered me a place at an induction meeting next week.

I am eager to get started. I have agreed to do cover supervisor work along with supply - just wondering how long it takes for the work to come in.

Also, has anyone here had positive experiences of supply in the north west?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

If I were you In would stick with teaching and not work as a cover supervisor. Why should you as you are a trained teacher.

Why don't you try contacting some of the schools directly as you have nothing to lose by doing and so and if get work directly you may get more money and more work. If you are willing to do primary as well that will increase the amount of work you get. Perhaps just try years 5 and 6 to test the water. I cannot comment on the area you are in, but here where I am there appears to be a lot of primary work.

September can be slow, but it usually picks up in a couple of weeks from the start of school. Once you get started, make sure you do a good job so you get repeat bookings which is what you want. There are many threads on here about what to do to get repeat bookings.

Let us know how you get on with your new venture.

3. horseykitty

horseykitty New commenter

Good advice pepper.

4. Rachelvallance

Rachelvallance New commenter

I'm a Supply Teacher in the NW of England and since the school's went back I've had 3 days work, it's a financial nightmare at the moment. A few of my teacher friends have informed me that their schools are using their TAs as cover as a means of saving money this year. The agency I'm with has confirmed things have been extraordinarily quiet too. This is a tad worrying if it's a sign of things to come.

5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

This is the sixth year I have worked as a supply teacher and it has always picked up. Schools have only been back three weeks.

It can be very hard financially on supply but that is the nature of the work - no one knows when they will be needed.

Let's hope it picks up this week.

CWadd and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. charlen

charlen New commenter

I'm a primary supply teacher in the NW of England. I haven't had any work yet this term.

7. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

One half day so far. :(

8. emmalcm1

emmalcm1 Established commenter

I've been doing around 3-4 days a week the last couple of weeks BUT paid as a cover supervisor (which I hate doing because I'm basically a qualified teacher being paid as someone who is unqualified, but you have to find a way to pay the bills and all that). Most of it has been in a very tough school that I happen to have done quite a bit of supply at last year. I think they keep asking me back basically because no one else will go! When I first started with my current main agency, it did take a couple of months for me to start getting any real work.

9. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Emma

I am so sad and angrynto read how the agency and school you are at are taking advantage of you by paying you cover supervisor rates to go to a very tough school when they should be paying you more. It must be very tough for teachers to find decent work where you are at. Have you tried contacting any of the schools directly to see if you could get more money? The school you are at should hang their head in shame by exploiting you and your situation.

10. emmalcm1

emmalcm1 Established commenter

I have done some work directly for schools, yes, but it just wasn't keeping me busy enough unfortunately.

I actually ended up working in this particular school as CS from Feb until end of the Summer term, but having my own timetable for most of that time. The place is so awful that one of their teachers literally walked out and didn't return. They tried advertising and didn't manage to get someone to replace him straight away so I ended up staying (the only reasons being that at least I knew I had more of a steady wage each week for a while and knew where I'd be each day).

It bugged me that I was only getting paid as CS but their excuse was that it wasn't my subject and I didn't have to mark in my own time. I ended up attempting to go around the class doing a little bit of marking during lessons (on the rare occasion I wasn't too busy dealing with the zoo-like behaviour) because the few kids who were trying their best were getting so disheartened that no-one was marking their work and I felt sorry for them. I mean what sort of school allows that to happen...books not marked properly for 6 months!!

I totally agree, they should be hanging their heads in shame. I feel like more and more schools are running as businesses and just want anyone who's cheap supply wise, it's disgusting. That and the lack of jobs for my subject are the reasons why I'm attempting to escape teaching!