1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone had problems with the Repayment of Teachers Student Loans scheme?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by brookes, Jun 30, 2011.

1. I was one of the lucky people to qualify for this (started my NQT year in 2004). Fast forward to 2011 and this month they've unexpectedly taken over £200 out of my pay. All I can think of is a few months ago I received a letter asking for an updated address, which I phoned and gave them and explained that I had written to them when I changed address about 5 years previous. Everything I know about the SLC makes me worry that this isn't going to go well. Can anyone offer me advice?

2. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/414491.aspx?PageIndex=1
    Read this thread. It all ended happily in the end. You're not the first to have this problem, but how it's dealt with seems to vary wildly. I recommend the email route that I took, phone calls just ended up going round in every frustrating circles. Good luck.

3. https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/414491.aspx?PageIndex=1
    Read this thread. It all ended happily in the end. You're not the first to have this problem, but how it's dealt with seems to vary wildly. I recommend the email route that I took, phone calls just ended up going round in every frustrating circles. Good luck.

4. Thanks Nemo, as others describe on that thread, this has left me feeling physically sick with worry. I phoned this morning and was dealt with in a very brusque manner. The lady on the phone said I need to complete a CoC (Change of Circumstance?) form. She couldn't send me one however as their computer system was down, so I have to ring on Monday. She told me to return that with a covering letter explaining my situation. If I get reinstated I can ask for a reimbursement, however in the meantime they won't stop the payments being taken. I am concerned that if I complete the CoC form I'll be seen as admitting culpability (I have no proof of the phone calls and letters I've sent informing them of my change of address - why didn't they send me a CoC when I phoned/wrote?). What did you do that led to your claim being so successful?

5. No idea. I called them up and explained the situation and got nowhere. I emailed them and also posted a copy of a letter they had sent me to confirm continued eligibility a couple of months after I had changed address (albeit sent to my old address, but I did not notice that at the time). The sent me a new CoC form, slapped my wrist and refunded the payments they had taken.

6. Latest update, the call handlers don't understand what the problem is but that I need to fill in a Change of Circumstances form (for a home address that they already have). This has taken three separate phone calls and I still haven't received it. Although the call handlers don't know why I've been removed from the scheme, they can't put me through to the RTL as they "don't take calls" (on one occasion they did give me the RTL number to which I replied, "but that's the number I've just called you on").