1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone had loop diathermy excision? Effects on pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by undiwear, Apr 14, 2012.

1. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

You can request copies of your records and if you have a consultant, ask him to look at it and interpret it for you. If you don't have a consultant you can take it to you GP who can refer you to an ob/gyn to do the same.
    Please also let them explain carefull what risk means. The way it is used in some scenarios it can make things sound worse. When they say things like 1 in 200 chance for example it sounds pretty risky imo but to say 0.5% possibility or 99.5% sure it won't happen then it sounds 'safer'? Dunno if it does the same for you.

At least then you can start to put things into perspective. Good luck with your pregnancy and try not to worry. When things start to go wrong there is usually enough forewarning to give you time to act positively.

2. I had a LEEP about 3.5 years ago and had no ill effects in pregnancy whatsoever [​IMG]

3. I had one of these 4 years before getting pregnant. I worried a lot through my pregnancy but all was well. I did have a very quick labour, but not sure if that was due to the loop procedure. After the birth I have since seen a gynaecologist (for an unrelated issue) and asked about the impact a loop procedure has on pregnancy/ birth and she thought v little, or none. Hope that makes you feel better and you can enjoy this special time. Good luck, bec x x x

4. I had no problems whatsoever but I was placed under consultant care as a result of this and had extra scans so they could measure the cervix and check it wasn't shortening. Maybe it's worth speaking to a doctor just to allay your fears. I spoke to my sister in law about it as she is a doctor and she said it was just an extra precaution that isn't even deemed necessary in some health trusts as risk is low. The fact, however, that it is causing you worry means you should get more advice so you can relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. As I said I had no issues and have a beautiful 10 month old daughter.