1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone had loop diathermy excision? Any effects on pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by laura lou, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Wow, I almost could have written this! At 18 I had cauterisation to my cervix as I was having lots if bleeding due to abnormal cells, and while I was under GA they saw the cells were precancerous and did a second procedure. Like you, I was terrified and ill informed, and wasn't looking to conceive.
    I have a 2 year old and a 5 month old now, both of whom I carried safely. I did have consultant checks at 14 weeks to examine the damage and check for cervical incompetence, and with my second daughter a cervical scan at 22 weeks to check my cervix could hold to full term. The risk can be high but depends on your individual circumstances and body. I would insist on an examination sooner rather than later, as I think the larger the baby gets the bigger the risk. I'm sure all will be totally fine, but you deserve thoroughly checking out, so don't be afraid to demand this. Let us know how you get on. X

2. Thanks for your reply, as I said my midwife wasn't the slightest bit concerned, so don't think I'll get very far pursuing it with her. I live in a different part of the country to where I studied so can't see the GP who referred me at the time, nor the hospital where the procedure was carried out. Was planning on making an appointment to see my very nice female GP and discussing it with her, in the hope that she'll respond to my concerns and at the very least go through the details of my treatment and see if I need any further support in this pregnancy.

I must say I do feel very let down by the treatment and support I received at 18, at the time I didn't think much of it but reflecting on it now they told me sod all! There was definitely no mention of any possible impact on subsequent pregnancies and of course that was the last think on my mind at the time so I didn't even dream of asking! I know that I could hardly have not had the procedure done and the risk of having problems now is far lower than the risk of leaving pre-cancerous cells untreated but at least it would have prepared me better when I did start to think about conceiving.

3. I had this treatment in my early 20's too. I got told that it depended on how much they had to "take away". Like you didn't really get much info and just went along with what needed doing at that moment in time. I'd discuss your concerns with the dr and midwife. I had to see the consultant at 16 weeks and then at 34 weeks and luckily I've had a smooth and easy pregnancy. I know it can mean premature labour at 36 weeks but i'm overdue by 10 days and still no sign of bubba! I think it depends on how aggressive the treatment was and what your smears have been like since the treatment. Sorry if this is a ramble. Hope it makes sense. I would ask dr though!

Good luck jaynie :D