1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone had laser eye surgery?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fantastischfish, Apr 22, 2011.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I'm seriously considering this and have booked a consultation with Optimax for a few weeks' time.
    My prescription falls well in the middle of the acceptable limits, with a degree of astigmatism in both eyes.
    Having looked into it, it seems that the LASIK treatment, using intralase and wavefront, would be the most likely option based on the information I've been sent.
    So, would anyone like to share hteir experience?
    How much did you pay (if you don't mind sharing that info)?

Thanks in advance
    Eva x x x

2. Had mine done at Optical Express in January last year. I've had mine done with the right eye for reading and the left eye for distance. The surgery took about 48 seconds per eye. I was home around midday, by 3ish I was watching telly and reading the paper around 4 O'clock.

Unfortunately, my distance eye didn't work properly and I needed corrective surgery after 6 months, but everything now is fine and I wouldn't let the problem put anyone off, I'd still have it done even knowing what happened.

Costs started at £1800 for scalpel cut flap and laser moved by hand to £3000 for laser cut flap and laser moved by computer, I was told the result would be the same, but the healing time is reduced if the computer takes over completely.

Hope that helps.

3. fantastischfish

Thank you!

Did you have the laser cut flap? How was it? That's the most nerve-wracking part for me: the thought of someone coming towards my eye with a scalpel!
    How much can you actually see of what's going out? Is your vision distorted once you've had the drops in your eyes etc, or can you see what's going on at all times?

4. vickyrae1970

vickyrae1970 New commenter

i had mine done three years ago [ put it off for years as i was scared and now wish i had done it then ] . honestly , you go in , lie down , they put drops in , do each eye in turn and you dont feel a thing . there is no pain whatsover . going home on the train , i could see without glasses - i hadnt done that for 30+ years .
    the only uncomfortable thing is having to wear the goggles they give you to sleep in , to stop rubbing your eyes in your sleep .
    go on , do it .

5. fantastischfish

Bubbles, my biggest concern is about what I can see as it's getting done, but I've been assured that it's dark anyway, so you can't really see anything. I'm also worried about how they keep the eye open.
    I stupidly looked at a few seconds of a video clip of the surgery, but I guess I don't actually have to SEE my own eye and what's being done so I don't need to worry about that LOL.
    I just keep focusing on the joy of waking up to clear vision each morning.

6. Hi Eva,
    I had it done 4 years ago, when I was 27. Wish I'd had it done sooner. I was short sighted with astigmatism in both eyes. I will, however, end up having to wear reading glasses as everyone eventually does from age 40 ish onwards but don't mind that.
    I should say that I am mega squeamish when it comes to the eyes- I tried going for a contact lens fitting 6 years ago but got all light headed when the optom came near my eyes each time to try to put them in, and literally slid off the chair and passed out-very embarassing! Same thing happened when I went for a consultation at 1st place for laser surgery- just thinking about it all made me pass out and again slide down the chair and onto the floor with no warning, not knowing where I was when I came round lol!
    The point I'm making is that I really didn't think I'd be able to go through with laser surgery. The 'nurse' or assistant understood how scared I was and offered to hold my hand all the way through, and she was true to her word, she really calmed me. It's a very weird experience having it done, but you can just 'see' blackness like nighttime, and what appear to be little stars. It is also extremely quick. Some places let you take a valium to calm you, but mine didn't in case you weren't able to focus on the lights you need to.
    The following day your eyes feel a little tender and sore, it's good to rest them lots. The following afternoon I went back for an eye test and had 20/20 vision, yay!
    I had another eye test yesterday actually (I have to have 1 every 2 years as part of the guarantee), and still have excellent vision.
    I went with Ultralase in Chelmsford after reading copious reviews online, even though there were nearer and cheaper places, I knew I'd regret a cheapie if things went wrong... I paid £3600 and took out interest free credit for a year. Look out for special offers, my county council has 1 or 2 laser surgery places that it offers discount on.
    I deliberately didn't watch any of the videos etc, although did read up on the procedures to choose what was best for me. I had LASIK with wavefront. If I can do it, trust me anyone can!

7. fantastischfish

Just a quick message as I'm not supposed to focus my eyes on things like TV, small print or computer screens for a while and am supposed to be 'resting' them.
    Surgery went well and I can already feel an improvement in my vision, although things are still a bit blurry.
    The procedure was mildly unpleasant although I felt remarkably calm throughout. The room wasn't dark and I WAS able to see most of what was going on, including the clamp being fitted and the surgeon folding back the flap. It was easy to focus on the red light whilst the laser was applied. It was all over in under 10 minutes, which was great, except that I was actually in the place for 2.5 hours! Was booked to arrive at 11.30 and surgery didn't begin until 1.30pm. In this time, all I did was fill in a consent form and have a very quick examination by the surgeon to check the health of my eyes.
    So a lot of waiting around but hopefully the result will be worth it. I came home and slept through most of the discomfort, although the hour's car ride home was awful since I get car sick at the best of tiems, enver mind when I can't actually see!
    Am home in my own place now that I can pretyt much open my eyes and see reasonably well; well enough to make my own way around the house without guidance anyway. I'm planning on getting myself off to bed once I've done my last set of drops for the day (I'm due to take some more at 9.30pm. Hopefully I'll sleep right through and wake up seeing wonderfully ha ha!
    Thanks for all the advice and support everyone.

8. fantastischfish

Just wanted to update the lovely people who offered me words of advice and comfort...

It's not nearly a fortnight on my surgery and my vision is excellent! I've been re-tested at Optimax and could read the fifth line down on the chart with both eyes together - something I couldn't even achieve with contact lenses prior to surgery - the fifth line represents 20/20 vision. My right eye is weaker, but I can read the fourth line down very clearly, which wasn't actually predicted, so the result appears to be even better than the optometrist expected!
    I'm absolutely delighted with the results, which will only gett better with a little more time as things settle down. It's very odd having to get used to where to place things; I keep bringing books etc too close to my face and have to move them away!
    Still have a little bruising under the eyelids on the whites of my eyes, but this is fading. The right eye in particulary was bruised, but it did have considerably more treatment.
    In the words of the optometrist: "You really did have considerable astigmatism in both eyes, especially the right, so the result is remarkable!"
    Thank you everyone who offered advice and god wishes.

9. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Hi, just wanted to say well done and I think you're very brave! I'd love to get it done but am too squeamish for them cutting the flap on my eye or worrying that something could go wrong!

10. So glad it has been such a success for you, Eva!
    Forgive me asking a nosy question (and please, feel free to not answer), but what was your prescription before having the corrective surgery? I'd love the incentive to save for it, but I'm not sure how 'bad' your eyes are allowed to be before hand!

11. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Good news Eva. I wish someone could fix my eyes.... I am practically on the verge of driving blindness and had a detatched retina 3 years back, and while they repaired it, I am loosing vision slowly :( They are now looknig at doing a lens replacement in one of my eyes to try and stave off any more deterioration.