1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone had an interview for a PGCE Primary at UEL?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Syde, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Anyone had an interview for PGCE Primary at UEL 2012? What was it like? The Maths and English task? Is the interview a group one or individual?
    I didnt get into my first choice :(( and UEL is my second choice. I want to start preparing, so please help!!
    Cheers xx

2. Hi,
    Anyone had an interview for PGCE Primary at UEL 2012? What was it like? The Maths and English task? Is the interview a group one or individual?
    I didnt get into my first choice :(( and UEL is my second choice. I want to start preparing, so please help!!
    Cheers xx

3. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

Hi - sorry I didn't see this at first. Yes, I had an interview in December and was offered a place in January. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get into your first choice, did they tell you why? If not I'd highly recommend contacting them for some feedback so you can address the issues before the UEL interview.
    The english task is okay, just brush up on your grammar terms and be prepared to write a short essay on a subject. As for the maths test, it depends on whether you've recently studied maths as to how hard it will be - personally, most of us at my interview struggled. It's one of the harder primary maths tests I've seen. Revise the usual stuff like fractions, decimals, percentages but also do a LOT of algebra including algebraic proof, linear equations, etc. Mostly GCSE level.
    There's an individual interview, a group task and you also have to observe and comment on some teaching. The individual one was fine - be prepared to answer questions about teaching and your personal qualities, and have a current primary education issue ready to discuss.The group task isn't as scary as it sounds, it involves discussion and prioritising tasks as a group while a lecturer observes. Just relax, make sure you get heard but also show that you listen to others and give them a chance to talk.The observing thing was dead easy, you can't prepare for it.
    They will give you more information nearer the time anyway. Best of luck!