1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone had a new bathroom fitted recently?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Feb 12, 2011.

1. I am still thinking of buying a property which needs some renovation. An old lady lived there before and there is just a shower room, no bath. If anyone has recently had a bathroom fitted i would appreciate advice please - and any info re costs would be great too. I would just be putting a basic one in. Many thanks

2. I bought an aqaulisa shower to go over the bath in my house - it cost £800, nearly two years ago, including fitting. It's the best money I've ever spent! If you get a shower, get one of these.

3. aqualisa

4. I know they are good but i didn;t realise how dear!! Thanks for that. It will be rented out, so I might not be spending that much on it!!

5. Ah, no point spending that much if you can't enjoy it yourself!

6. We've just had ours done, or rather my dear husband did it, very slowly. The bathroom suite was cheap - B&Q £350, the shower cubicle and tray £200 and something online, taps and stuff online £80, shower £80. Tiles from Homebase, £18 a box but don't know how many it took; light fitting £30.
    The expensive bit was pulling the old tiles off and discovering that the condition of the wall underneath was so poor that it would have to all be re-plastered grrrrr £300; £200 for a plumber to do the errrrr... plumbing, and because the shower cable wasn't the right kind for a modern higher-wattage shower, £180 for an electrician to come and re-wire that (the wire comes from the other end of the house).

7. Started posting before I read you were renting it out. You can do it much more cheaply!

8. Yes, I think buying the actual suite is the cheap bit. THank you very much, that;s really helpful. Mr Gorgy usually does the tiling, with me as tiler's mate, but he hates it and we alway fall out.

9. I still think the work will cost, though. I haven't been to see it recently, looked at it back in Nov, and I just remember this blue shower loo and basin. I expect it would rent as it is, i know lots of people only have showers, but I would need to change it at some point.

10. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Decent sized bathroom with 34 year old retro pink bathroom suite and tiles - just replaced and dead chuffed with it :)
    Plumber - fitted loo, bath, sink, under sink cabinet, new radiator (also fitted two large radiators in lounge and two in hall/on landing) total cost £1186.75p
    Tiler (good but wouldn't have him again as he turned out to be expensive!) around £600. All walls tiled.
    Tiles almost £500
    Bath, loo, sink, and undersink cabinet that was made to measure £1132.00 (posh!)
    Fittings (taps, towel holder, loo roll holder) £222.97
    Flooring (fitted by hubby and took him ages - bigger/more fiddly job than he thought) £170
    Shower fitting was existing - power shower.
    Think that's it. It is a posh bathroom now though not "gold plated".
    Vastly better than retro pink..........

11. All the farty bits to make it look nice were the dear bit! Posh towels, matching bin (blushes), new bogbrush, scales, glass shelf, bog roll holder, bathmat, cabinet, mirror, candles, Jo malone soaps (never to be used, only to sit in the Murano glass dish), toothbrush holder, soap dispenser, ladder radiator....... even the bog block and the shower gel match.
    I am almost embarrassed.

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thinking about this myself (hate our current bathroom with a passion).
    Dumb question - how do you manage without 'facilities' while the bathroom is being refitted?

13. The refit - taking out the old loo and and disconnecting the taps - and putting the new ones in are done in a few hours to usable standard. It's if you hit a snag or people don't turn up, as ours did. But we have another loo and we went to my son's/the gym to shower for a few days.

14. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Thanks, Lily.
    Must check gym membership is still valid!

15. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Buy big tiles - quicker to fit therefore cheaper; easier to clean as less grout! Voice of experienced landlady and wife of tiler!!

16. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

If you plan to change the location for the fitments the price will rocket. Just switching a loo, bath etc is not that price, the plumber just has to reattach the supply and waste. In your case he may have to do some fiddling with connections, but it isn't complicated. But extending pipework and waste systems is quite time consuming. I remember the soil pipe from the loo was a big problem when we had ours done.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We're getting B&Q to gut our bathroom, strip it back to planks and plaster and start again from scratch. I don't have the skill or the patience to do it myself, or the time to try and organise different people to do different jobs so we've gone for the whole package. Room dimensions are bath length plus a foot in width, bath width, sink and bog plus a foot in length so not big. It includes all the basic fittings including tiled all round with big tiles, a simple border, electric shower/bath unit and heated towel rail, new light, re-siting of pipework and shower electrics at the opposite end of the room, boxed in bog and sink, small cupboard unit, and a couple of square metres of laminate floor. They're doing a few other bits around the house while they're here, so with special offer discount, best guess for the bathroom alone is about £4500, maybe slightly more.

Maybe not as cheap as doing each bit individually with different people, but quicker, with guaranteed workmanship by one organisation, and conventional house pricing wisdom suggests we'd recoup it when we sell.

Given the lousy rate of interest on investments at present I reckon home improvement is probably the smarter move if there's a bit of spare cash available.

18. The only problem with big tiles is that the wall underneath needs to be completely level or they won't attach - they rock like a see-saw. Also, unless your room's a perfect square, they will also need a lot more cutting to shape, so mistakes are more expensive. Smaller tiles are easier for the rank amateur.