1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone had a hysterectomy lately

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Beb, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Beb

Beb New commenter

Hi just wondering if anyone else has had a hysterectomy lately, and how recovery is going and if or when you are planning to return to the classroom.

I am not quite two weeks post op after a TAH, still quite u comfortable at times, just wondered how others in similar boat are doing?

2. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

First, obviously everyone is different and I don't think any two people will recover at the same rate so if you're only 2 weeks post-op and only 'quite uncomfortable at times' you are doing very well indeed in my book!
    I had my TAH on June 4th and I started to feel that I might be able to go back to work after 6 weeks (that's how long the consultant gave me a sick note for)....but I went into school just for a couple of afternoons when the children were doing end of year stuff and I was totally exhausted!
    Ended up getting signed off forthe full 7 weeks of term 6 and have now had Summer holidays and finally feel totally ready to go back (have been doing 8 hour days this week, trying to sort out my new classroom!)
    My advice to you would be to take it easy and really listen to your body - only you will know when you've done enough and need to rest. If you rush to get back to work before you're fully better, you could do yourself damage and your health is far more important than your job.
    Well done on your recovery so far and good luck for the future!

3. Have appt for mine next month. Would welcome any "top tips" and advice. Feel quite apprehensive about immediate recovery time.Thanks

4. Beb

Beb New commenter

Thanks twinkles, I totally appreciate that everyone is different and considering where I work I am in no way planning to go back before I am fully recovered.

I am sore on moving from sitting to standing etc and suffering with the swollen belly etc, I am just taking things easy and looking after my self, it is just useful to see how much recovery others have needed,

Hi Beattie understand how you feel totally, think it depends where you are in the country depending on how long you will be in hospital, and also the type of surgery.

I had TAH womb and cervix removed kept ovaries, surgery was thurs, woke up with catheter in and boots on legs that massage to prevent DVT was also connected to PCA for pain relief was offered toast and tea pretty much on waking,

Catheter was removed next morn, up to loo straight away and encouraged! To sit in chair for a while and go for a walk etc. Sent home sat eve! With paracetomol and voltarol for pain and injections to do daily to prevent DVT .
    Personally have suffered with wind pains and they can be very painful but, gentle walkin around does help
    Have listened to my body and know when I have done to much!
    Good Luck hope all goes well if you have any other questions please feel free to ask I don't claim to know it all but know that it helped me cope prior and post op by talking to others who have been through it so I was prepared for the op and this initial recovery period.

Please forgive spelling mistakes etc!