1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anyone got any violins they don't need?

Discussion in 'Music' started by rooty tootler, Jan 20, 2012.

1. rooty tootler

rooty tootler New commenter

Hi
    My Infant school is in a disadvantaged area of West London and we are looking to set up violin lessons for our Year 2 children.
    Someone from our local Music Service came to do an performance assembly and over 30 children have opted to take lessons! Fabulous!
    We plan to charge the parents the minimum that we can, to actually have the lessons, but are now trying to work out how we are going to provide instruments for that many. We would love them all to be able to have lessons, but realistically, that is going to be a problem as our school budgets just don't run to that.
    The Music Service have offered us a hire service, but it is still way too expensive for our parents and our school.
    Any ideas? Anyone got an old 1/8 or 1/4 violin they don't need? Any violiins in your school that you would be willing to sell at a vastly reduced cost?
    Anyone think of anyone who might want to/ or who could provide 20- 30 violins for some very enthusiastic 6-7 yr olds?
    I really don't want to have to turn any kids down!!! :( Any ideas gratefully received.
    Thanks

2. rooty tootler

Hi
    My Infant school is in a disadvantaged area of West London and we are looking to set up violin lessons for our Year 2 children.
    Someone from our local Music Service came to do an performance assembly and over 30 children have opted to take lessons! Fabulous!
    We plan to charge the parents the minimum that we can, to actually have the lessons, but are now trying to work out how we are going to provide instruments for that many. We would love them all to be able to have lessons, but realistically, that is going to be a problem as our school budgets just don't run to that.
    The Music Service have offered us a hire service, but it is still way too expensive for our parents and our school.
    Any ideas? Anyone got an old 1/8 or 1/4 violin they don't need? Any violiins in your school that you would be willing to sell at a vastly reduced cost?
    Anyone think of anyone who might want to/ or who could provide 20- 30 violins for some very enthusiastic 6-7 yr olds?
    I really don't want to have to turn any kids down!!! :( Any ideas gratefully received.
    Thanks

3. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Are you also liaising with the junior school? It would be a crying shame for them to do two terms, only to arrive at the juniors and discover that it will be vastly more expensive and parents can't afford it any more. It would be great to subsidise/loan instruments in year 2, to encourage them to try it, but it would be best if parents know from the outset what the deal will be next year.

4. rooty tootler

Hi Frustum
    We don't have brilliant links with the junior school unfortunately. They don't do violin as far as I am aware, but I believe have taken part in wider ops using recorders.
    I agree with you that it would be preferable that our children could continue into Year 3, but we still thought it would good for our children to get a taste of learning an instrument.
    We already run recorder groups for our Year 2's and instruments and tuition for this are provided free of charge.

However, if I can't find any violins, then my super keen Year 2's won't be able to do it![​IMG]