1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone got any predictions for writing SATs paper?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by clangercrazy, Jan 6, 2012.

1. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

So......I know it's basically a lottery and anyone's guess is as good as...well...anyone's guess...
    But, does anyone have any predictions for what writing genres they think will be in the 2012 long and short writing tests this year? I really hope some descriptive writing is in there, like real descriptive imaginative writing. I loved the Miptor paper. Why can't that come up again?!?!
    Obviously I know why.... I'm just indulging in some wishful thinking....[​IMG]

2. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

Is it really free to download in feb? I didn't know that.
    Ours is one of the schools chosen to do the sample writing test that will be sent off, and I think has to be done the same week as the rest of the sats...
    It's all new to me......new Y6 teacher! [​IMG]

3. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

Based on previous years' experience, here are my three predictions for the Writing SATs 2012:
    1. It'll be a dull and uninspiring non-fiction task. It doesn't matter, because most of your lower-ability children will ignore the prompt and write a story instead.
    2. The fact that some children wrote complete **** won't matter, because the papers, when they eventually return to school, will show no sign of having been marked (no highlighting, no circling of good vocabulary, no comments) except for a line scrawled along the bottom and a few random numbers written on the front which bear no relation to the mark scheme or, indeed, the quality of the work itself. The highest marks will quite possibly be inexplicably attained by your weakest writers.
    3. However, the results themselves won't matter much because the government will raise or lower the threshold to make sure enough children reach/fail to reach Level 4 to be in line with whatever opinion they have of teachers and national strategies at the time.
    It's taken me surprisingly few years to reach this level of cynicism.

4. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

Love it!
    Remember the 'trainers' one. I was supervising a small group of low achievers. I gazed at their footwear,three out of four had holes and the fourth ,the sole was peeling away. Bit sad really...

5. legoearth

legoearth New commenter

This is why I said 'love it!'

6. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

grandsire this is soooo true!!!! But on the plus side, only TA levels are being publlished for writing this year so the 'marking' done by externals will be even worse than before as it will be completely ignored!!
    If you are a 'chosen' school your papers will be delivered along with the rest of the sats. Only available to download if you opted for internal marking. I don't see how it can be the same test as the external one though as this would make no sense. Either way, its all a bit of a mess that I can work out|!!

7. groovyshell83

groovyshell83 Occasional commenter

with 4 weeks to go, I thought I would bump this post up to the top to see if there were any more predicitons coming out. I am going for something descriptive...

8. Aren't they already out? Our Year 6s have already done their writing ones?

9. Where can I find the papers? Does anybody know what the task was about?

10. I am also so pleased that people are keeping quiet about the writing tests. We did them before Easter and have marked them - I am glad it is a level playing field at the moment! To be fair it would not make much difference now that we can show the evidence in their books, much fairer.

11. Based on previous years' experience, here are my three predictions for the Writing SATs 2012:
    1. It'll be a dull and uninspiring non-fiction task. It doesn't matter, because most of your lower-ability children will ignore the prompt and write a story instead.
    2. The fact that some children wrote complete **** won't matter, because the papers, when they eventually return to school, will show no sign of having been marked (no highlighting, no circling of good vocabulary, no comments) except for a line scrawled along the bottom and a few random numbers written on the front which bear no relation to the mark scheme or, indeed, the quality of the work itself. The highest marks will quite possibly be inexplicably attained by your weakest writers.
    3. However, the results themselves won't matter much because the government will raise or lower the threshold to make sure enough children reach/fail to reach Level 4 to be in line with whatever opinion they have of teachers and national strategies at the time.
    It's taken me surprisingly few years to reach this level of cynicism.
    Love this comment - totally agree!