1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone got any ideas for teaching bias, fact and opinion to Year Nine?

Discussion in 'English' started by siobhan_prawn, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Hey,

As the subject suggests, I'm struggling with ideas on teaching bias, fact and opinion - I can't find any material anywhere. I'd really appreciate any tips or extracts I could use for this.

Thanks in advance!

Siobhan x

2. Hey,

As the subject suggests, I'm struggling with ideas on teaching bias, fact and opinion - I can't find any material anywhere. I'd really appreciate any tips or extracts I could use for this.

Thanks in advance!

Siobhan x

3. ask your history teacher for resources, they should be teaching this too so share

4. News articles are always good particularly as students so often assume that because it's in a newspaper / on TV / on the web it must be true. Try downloading articles on the same story from a variety of news sites; hand them out to students in pairs; get them to highlight facts in one colour and opinions in another and write a brief summary of the attitude of the writer to the subject - then get students to compare articles and notes with another pair. Travel adverts are another good example particularly those full page colour adverts 'The Guardian' carries in the Weekend magazine; I used to collect them and laminate them for use in the classroom.

I've got some, very simple, mocked up travel adverts on www.morelearning.net to look at how information about the same place can be presented differently depending on the audience but that's more to do with audience and purpose than fact and opinion. They're in the key stage 3 directory under 'Travel Writing' if you do want to have a look.

Animal Aid has an education pack which includes one newspaper article for animal experiments and one against which is for a lesson on fact / opinion and bias I think. I can't remember what the task is that students are supposed to do but you could always just use parts of the articles for your lesson. The lesson pack is free from Animal Aid - I think you just have to ring them but maybe you have to email. There are some downloadable IWB versions of some of the tasks on their website although again I can't remember whether they are related to the lesson on fact and opinion in the media or not.

5. I have a lesson plan based on the wolf's version of the Little Red Riding Hood story. Leave an email addy if you'd like it.

6. Would welcome this too Lumpy, if you don't mind.
    dbaker9@aol.com

Thank you.

7. kaitaz

kaitaz New commenter

I made up a powerpoint about fact, fiction and opinion you can have that if you like email me:

kaitaz30@hotmail.com

(Yay I remembered to put my email address in this time!!)

8. Please could I have a copy of the wolfs version of the Little Red Riding Hood Story.

stepharay@live.com

Many thanks

Steph

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

10. It might help you to know that I've been told by my examining team leader that the AQA GCSE English Language exam will not include a fact-and-opinion question from 2009 onwards. This is apparently because in 2008 the chief examiner and the team leaders could not agree in the first place as to which were facts and which were opinions in the set text. Once the decisions were made and the criteria set, the assistant examiners in my team, at least, felt uncomfortable with the accepted-answers-list. Then, in my own experience, the less able candidates were on average getting more marks for this question than were the able candidates.

I wouldn't be surprised if this question had been discounted when final grades were awarded this year.

11. en502es@googlemail.com - sounds perfect thanks!

12. Yes, please, I would like to have a look at this. New to this site, so how does it work for sharing? My email address is sallyhaywood@yahoo.co.uk