1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone got any experience of schools saved from closure?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Chocolate Frog Brain, Jan 13, 2011.

1. This probably should be posted in workplace dilemmas, but was hoping I might get a bigger response here, so please forgive me! Just found out the secondary school I work in might be closing due to the low number of students applying to attend.
    Other than a massive increase in applications, what else will be considered in deciding whether the place stays open or not?
    Does anybody have any stories of schools saved from closure and the reasons why, or can anyone share any info on what else will be taken into account? How much do parental complaints count etc?
    Would be glad to hear of any experiences. Thanks.

2. This probably should be posted in workplace dilemmas, but was hoping I might get a bigger response here, so please forgive me! Just found out the secondary school I work in might be closing due to the low number of students applying to attend.
    Other than a massive increase in applications, what else will be considered in deciding whether the place stays open or not?
    Does anybody have any stories of schools saved from closure and the reasons why, or can anyone share any info on what else will be taken into account? How much do parental complaints count etc?
    Would be glad to hear of any experiences. Thanks.

3. Parent pressure will help, and you could try to enlist the support of your local MP. The decision will be based on expediency, nothing else.

4. Our school stayed open because the tories won the election and scrapped plans to build new schools.

5. Oh sorry. I mean because the community is right there behind us. They want a school in the heart of their community. They just don't want it as a first choice for their own children.

6. Yes, I am in a picture in the Northumberland gazette this week showing when my school was faced with closure 25 years ago. I went on a march a few years later. Our MP was key in helping if I remember rightly, and some media help.

7. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I believe there is a formal process and if it is not met then a judicial review will scupper the plans.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Unions.
    Regional or national office, not local rep.
    Every single union that any of your colleagues belong to. Get their experience, get their advice, get their support.
    They may well have ideas of what can be done in the current climnate, or statistics that show demographic trends that could help your case.
    Unions must be your first point of call.
    Best wishes to you and your colleagues at this very stressful and difficult time for you.
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    There is also a Weekend Workshop on applications on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you then!

9. Major housing developments.
    I know of a school that was threatened with closure - very unpopular school, very low numbers - but a combination of the tenacity of the Head and the fact that the town was due to expand significantly saved it. The reasoning being that the school would be needed to accommodate the increase in local population, obviously.
    Don't know much more than that; it wasn't a failing school, as far as I know, it just was the least popular option. The Head (and pupils) worked hard to improve the perception of the school, and to make sure their determination to stay open remained at the front of the local press.

10. We had a major PR campaign last time. I know our MP personally and he had privately assured me that the grounds upon which the school was proposed for closure were legit and upholdable but still he turned up and campaigned for it to stay open. We had local radio and TV, the unions, everyone we could think of involved, and quite a lot of support from parents who never turn up for Parents' evenings but showed up for the free snacks and dance demonstration public meeting. But if failing National Challenge again and only being half-full are enough of a reason for closure then we should have shut.
    But we didn't, because the LA didn't really want to pay off our debt, they needed somewhere to park all the new immigrants and Dave announced he wasn't building anything else.
    Has your school any similar leverage?

11. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

My school is closing August 2012. We fought and fought and fought as best we could. They were determined! Slightly different case as we are a middle school system being turned into Primary and Secondary schools. On a plus note 11-18/16 high schools in my authority did win and are not being closed.

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

Oooh - we get the Gazette! I can now wonder which one is little sidey. [​IMG]

13. I am the one in the front sitting at the old BBC!

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The junior school my youngest attended was earmarked for closure. Numbers on roll had fallen from 280 down to 25!

However it transpired that the LEA had been secretly briefing against the school for several years becasue there was a surplus of Junior places (Solihull has many separate Infant and Junior schools) and closing this one would help them out. Thus whenever a parent put this school down they would get a phone call telling them thet the school was going to close and if they took a place their child would end up in a school miles away when it did! Tis was a lie of course as no decision about closing had been made. The school made an appeal to the Education ombudsman and a meeting was held where everyone could state their case. the school was reprieved and numbers are now on the rise again.

I suggest you pm me and I will identlfy the school and the HT's name then you can cntact him for the details of what happened, I'm sure he would be happy to help.