1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone going to the Nate conference?

Discussion in 'English' started by y9840125, Jan 23, 2011.

1. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Am quite interested....

2. y9840125

Am quite interested....

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I suppose I better had, since I am presenting!
    Seriously, though, it's great. This will be my tenth, and I have got so much out of each of them. It IS expensive, but it's so much more worthwhile than any of the other training I've ever been on.

4. y9840125

Yes am estimating £500 quid when you consider hotels and food as well. Am very keen...this would be my first year. I am going to see if my school might pay some of the costs. The advantage is that I am due a big tax return this month which would cover the costs. It does look really interesting.

5. Yep; I shall be there. I haven't been for about ten years and have tried to go to the last three but my school has not been very organised about it or I have been out of the country when it has been on. As it's CPD, the school should pay ALL of your costs and, as it's three days of your holiday, that's three days supply cover saved, so the money is there for them to cough up. Our CPD person was a little confused when I told her I only needed hotel costs as my travel will be covered by me - I fly back into the country the morning the course starts, so have travel paid for to get me back home anyway. Perhaps TES-ers at the conference should also add their TES name to their badges?

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I was allowed to go last year even though I needed Friday off - when I asked (and bear in mind that I paid for it myself, as I have every year, I was asked whether I could leave at lunchtime to reduce cover costs... given that I was "on" at 2pm and had a 5 hour drive, it was unlikely!!
    I know I wouldn't be "allowed" to go if I wasn't paying.

7. Yep, I'll be there!

8. y9840125

Me too definitely....my school are contributing to the costs...am now trying to find a cheap hotel :))

Am sooooo excited...is that sad?

9. Not sad in the slightest. the NATE Conference is probably the best INSET you can get yourself onto and this year's conference looks outstanding.

10. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

See you all there :)

11. y9840125

I am soooooooo excited!!! Just looking at all my travel arrangements etc and the hotel....can't wait!

12. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

:)
    I've finally finished packing and am all ready to go... must remember laptop in the morning!
    Where are you staying?

13. y9840125

I am staying at the Novotel but arriving Friday morning as i only live a couple of hours away from London.

I am super excited to meet everyone...i have a feeling it is going to be totally inspirational!

14. I'm staying in the little Fairview Hotel - found using Laterooms.com.

But first, I have to get off of Malta tomorrow morning. I miss the first morning but will be there after lunch.

15. TESEnglish

TESEnglish Occasional commenter

Good morning!
    Heading off later this am. Hope to meet you all. Will be scanning badges. :)
    Anon,

Chantel

16. Going to have a quick visit tomorrow, then will be doing a session on Saturday [​IMG]
    Hope everyone has a good time - will see some of you there no doubt.

17. NATE and the British Library need a big thank you for all the excellent work that went into the Conference this year. David Crystal, Debra Myhill and Nigel Hinton were inspiring, as was the exhibition - Evolving English - at the Library. Lots to eat and drink, late nights, discussion of education and other stuff. Marvellous. Feel intellectually invigorated again but physically shattered!

18. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

It was grea, wasn't it?! I wonder how many of us met without realising it - pretty sure we did.