1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone going to, or is in, Shanghai?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Micromania, Jan 31, 2012.

1. I finally got the offer from my first choice in Shanghai! I am very excited about it and really looking forward to living and working there. I was wondering if anyone else is going to Shanghai next year, or if anyone is there already as it would be nice to meet people who are on the same boat or who know about the city and don't mind me asking a few questions. Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would email the Head/Principal and ask for the emails of staff in the school already, they are mostly friendly. Most schools have an information pack they can send you about living in Shanghai.
    You can try and post this on www dot shanghaiexpat dot com which is good for various information.'

3. Thanks for the advice february31st. I can find the emails of staff on the school's website. Should I just pick one and email them or is it better to go through the Head out of courtesy and he might pass me on to someone who he knows will be happy to answer my million questions?

4. february31st

february31st Established commenter

I would via the Head out of courtesy, as I said they are mostly a friendly bunch. Your HoD should be one of the people you should contact about living in Shanghai.

5. So is the pollution acceptable enough to bring a young family to te city? How does pollution compare to Beijing, Guangzhuo, Bangkok, UAE, Qatar?
    Trying to weigh up finances with family's health!
    Thanks

6. I've lived in the UAE, no pollution issues there, very safe and plenty of activities for the young ones. The people I know with families out there are very happy indeed and none of them have any plans of returning to the UK.
    I hear the pollution in Beijing is far greater than in Shanhai.

7. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Book and pay for a business class flight and get the extra luggage allowance! Go via Dubai on Emirates and as long as you book it up early enough you could get the return flight for £1600 - I know that seems a lot but when you take into consideration that the school will pay for a comedy class ticket usually £700 return or thereabouts it is not that much to sit comfortably, sip champange, fine wines, decent food on china plates, access to the lounge, free transport to the airport and even sometimes free stopovers at the Atlantis Palm in Dubai. I've managed a total of 6 nights there completely FOC c/o Emirates.
    Don't take too many clothes - just get them made. Only take female underwear if you are normal Euro size plus shoes if above euro 37.

8. Very tempting idea lovely.lady. Hadn't thought of that.Thing is, I'm overseas at the moment and I'll be going back home for summer. I have all my stuff with me here so I'd have to carry everything back home if I do it that way, which means paying excess luggage on top of the business class Emirates ticket, which I won't be able to afford. I am expecting some visitors though in the next few months so if I can get them to take some of my things back for me I might be able to pull it off. Anyway, thanks for the idea, I shall be looking into it!

9. The pollution in Shanghai can be bad at times and then on other days like today, you can see for miles with clear blue skies. I think the pollution levels are more comparable to Guangzhou and even Hong Kong than to Beijing. Personally I would never live in Beijing because of the pollution but I seem to find the air in Shanghai tolerable. You can always check the daily air pollution website to see what you are breathing. Do bring lots of prescription and over the counter medicines though, as they are hard to find here.

10. Hello! I received a job offer for a school in Shanghai a couple of weeks ago which I have accepted and will be moving out there early August! Very excited!
    I will send you a pm, maybe we will be working at the same school?!